Thread: An improved leg vise

An improved leg vise

This is an accessory for a leg vise to prevent the chop racking. There are other ways to do this - a deck of playing cards is easier - but I wanted to build it in, and not have to look for an accessory. Your bench may offer the same opportunity.

This is the anti-racking at work ...

How is this done? Alongside the leg is a "depth stop" built from a screw. It can be adjusted for the desired length ...

I designed and built this a few years ago. Rob Lee came to visit, and commented that the design needed extra reinforcement to prevent being bent back. He was correct, and I have now used angle sections to attach it to the leg. Solid as a rock ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thumbs up on a clever solution to racking!

I can't think of much of anything in the way of improvement, but I wonder if you might mortise in a cross section of brass rod or something else where the screw contacts the chop to resist wear. Since it's your vise, you will always adjust the anti racking bolt with care, but if someone else were to extend it too far and crank the vise down hard, it would introduce a lot of shear in a small point. Again, if you're the only one using the vise, this may not be an issue.

One thing I like is how quickly your solution can be adjusted. It's a bit of a pain to fiddle around with a deck of cards or a ring of shims. Thank you for sharing,

Edwin

Hi Edwin

There is a steel plate in the chop to prevent wear ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    "Showoff"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Edwin

There is a steel plate in the chop to prevent wear ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    You're a step ahead! So now I have no suggestions, only a thumbs up.

I see you are still using the chain system from the boat yard, saves me asking if you are still happy with it later. That's been a few years now for you said the search button user.

I just built a deck of cards myself, but I can see if you are on one project doing 63 pieces at 7/16", you can set the bolt, do the project and not have to fool with the card deck 63 times.

How often do you clamp stock on the outboard side of your vise which would point at having a second bolt system on the inner edge?

How often do you clamp stock on the outboard side of your vise which would point at having a second bolt system on the inner edge?
    Scott ... never. The inboard side would be used with a sliding deadman for tall work pieces, such as planing a door. Long, but narrow work pieces simply are held by the full chop. As are short and narrow pieces.

Now Warren mentioned something interesting to me on another forum, that is, he uses a slated leg vise, and this avoids the issues of racking that a vertical leg vise will have. Anyone here with experience with a slanted leg vise?

Regards from Perth

Derek