Thread: wood bleach on white ash

wood bleach on white ash

I was thinking of trying to bleach some white ash using a peroxide / caustic soda mix. anyone here try that before?

I love the look of freshly sanded white ash with nothing on it, of course it yellows over time, especially with sun on it. urethane might delay it for a while. Ill have to finish with urethane anyway
    but Im wondering if the bleaching will lighten it significantly,

im doing it again.... doing something new instead of what I know will work. always reaching. ugh.

It’s been quite a few years but I built a dining table from white ash and bleached it twice. It was white white. Finished it with conversion varnish which is water clear. Can’t say long term how white it stayed.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I think there was an article in FWW within the past year or two about bleaching wood. He used multiple bleachings and other steps, too, but the wood came out white white. You might want to look for that article to see if it might be helpful.

By whatever means you bleach it, the finish you choose will go a long ways towards how long it stays white. I would use something that has a dual UV package in it. One component keep the finish from aging while the other prevents the wood from yellowing.

John

John,
    Can you offer some suggested dual UV finishes?

Thanks
    Edwin

Edwin, SW's Kem Aqua Plus and GF's High Performance are two. I think TC's EM-9300 might be, too, but can't remember for sure. I'm sure there are plenty of solvent based options, too.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Edwin, SW's Kem Aqua Plus and GF's High Performance are two. I think TC's EM-9300 might be, too, but can't remember for sure. I'm sure there are plenty of solvent based options, too.

John
    John, many thanks for the recommendations. I am thinking about a project made from bleached and ebonized ash. I would be looking for a water white, non-yellowing finish, so these two suggestions are a good start.