Thread: Grizzly Lead Time.... Normal?

Grizzly Lead Time.... Normal?

I ordered Grizzly's new spiral head lunchbox planer in February and at the time I swear they told me it would be in stock in March. That date came and went and then they told me May 10th so I chalked it up to me misunderstanding the March date. I didn't get any updates after the 10th and now they're saying June 18th. This is my first purchase from Grizzly. Is such a large lead time normal for them? Should I just keep saving and look into other manufacturers?

I ordered two things from them that I knew were out of stock, but I was prepared to wait. In both cases they overshot their estimated stocking date by a week or two, but both items eventually showed up.

I've also ordered other things that were in stock, and they were promptly shipped.

Most of their stuff is manufactured in China or Taiwan, so if it's not in stock, expect to wait a while, and possibly experience delays, depending on how long it takes the factory to make more, and ship to here.

If you're not prepared to wait, cancel the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I ordered two things from them that I knew were out of stock, but I was prepared to wait. In both cases they overshot their estimated stocking date by a week or two, but both items eventually showed up.

I've also ordered other things that were in stock, and they were promptly shipped.

Most of their stuff is manufactured in China or Taiwan, so if it's not in stock, expect to wait a while, and possibly experience delays, depending on how long it takes the factory to make more, and ship to here.

If you're not prepared to wait, cancel the order.
    Thanks for the reply Andrew. I was prepared to wait since I've been waiting for 3 months, but questioned it after they pushed back their date by over a month. I didn't know if that was normal for them, so I figured I would see if anyone had similar experience before I started to look at other planers.

It seams like their more popular items often get sold out. I waited abut 4 months to get my wood lathe from Grizzly. I think I might have waited even longer except that they send out everything they could from China so it would get unloaded before the new tariffs hit last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It seams like their more popular items often get sold out. I waited abut 4 months to get my wood lathe from Grizzly. I think I might have waited even longer except that they send out everything they could from China so it would get unloaded before the new tariffs hit last year.
    So waiting is normal with Grizzly it sounds like. I think this is a new product and it's being made in Taiwan, so I was already a little nervous since there were no reviews. I just hope it's worth the wait.

It depends on the product and the market at the time. Grizzly tools are manufactured as previously stated in Taiwan or China. They have to forecast how many of a given product they need months if not a year in advance. Company's have to retool to build a specific product and that isn't a quick process and then you have to factor in shipping. As big as those cargo ships are and considering their operating expenses, I can't imagine that Grizzly can order enough product to warrant an entire cargo ship just for their product line. Thus while something might be built, it could be waiting for a ship to develop enough load to make a trip to the US profitable.

I have 2 Grizzly tools in my shop, a 8" jointer and a sander. Both were in stock and shipped within a couple days of my order. Again, it depends. There is no definitive answer, IMO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grizzly is at the mercy of their manufacturers, so they’re relaying their expected delivery times.

Surely tariffs are not helping things either, so you’ve got that against you too.

8. Unless you desperately need a planer, I'd wait. Grizzly has always provided fast and efficent service in my orders.

Plus, if you cancel your order now and later decide to re-order, you'll be stuck with the new tariff price. As it is now, you'll buy at the pre-tariff price.

This is certainly the time to buy if Grizzly has it in stock. Prices will inevitably go up with the new tariff as well as drastically slow down foreign production resulting in long delivery times and short availability.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    Unless you desperately need a planer, I'd wait.
    I use primarily hand tools to dimension everything so I've really be looking forward to getting a planer. But I can't find anything at that price point that compares.

Steven,

Do a search for "CUtech" planers. They have very similar products for a comparable price. I have a Ridgid and the CUtech professional models is very similar to the one I have and comes with a helical head for under $600. In fact, the CU tech was recommended by another Ridgid owner who needed parts for the same model I own.

Also, do a search for "Balleigh Tools" in Wisconsin. They have similar models but a quick check showed a $200 dollar higher price.

The CU Tech planers were available on Amazon.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Steven,

Do a search for "CUtech" planers. They have very similar products for a comparable price. I have a Ridgid and the CUtech professional models is very similar to the one I have and comes with a helical head for under $600. In fact, the CU tech was recommended by another Ridgid owner who needed parts for the same model I own.

Also, do a search for "Balleigh Tools" in Wisconsin. They have similar models but a quick check showed a $200 dollar higher price.

The CU Tech planers were available on Amazon.
    I actually had a Cutech all picked out when I saw the Grizzly. The Grizzly has more cutters and they're four sided instead of 2. I'll have to look at the Balleighs. Thanks Ken

I have one of the Cutech planers that Ken mentioned. Excellent machine. If you get the carbide cutters, you won't be worrying about how many cutting sides you have, they seem to last forever.

I know nothing about the Grizzly machine, other than its availability.

I bought the Grizzly 20" planer in January and received it in about 10 days. Of course it was in stock and is made in Taiwan. I then sold my 15" with a helix head on it in April. I listed it at $1250 and had half a dozen calls on it in the first few hours. Guy bought it sight unseen for full price. In talking to him, he had ordered the same machine in Jan and was told it was out of stock, should be about a month. Towards the end of Feb, he was told it was pushed out a month. Finally the end of March he was told, sorry, but it will be December at the earliest. The issue is that they were moving the manufacture from China to Taiwan to avoid the tariffs and the change in locations was causing issues.

Good luck on things.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck