Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: automobile oil filters...

automobile oil filters...

Have heard recently that Fram oli filters are not that good contrary to what I had believed. So who is making good filters these days? I need to change the oil in my car so the question as to brand is good....

Fram hasn't made a good filter since the 80s...however their top model isn't too bad from what I hear... however I won't use them or anything k&n.

Walmart sells the Mobil filters that are good. In fact I converted everything over to Mobil filters last year from ATV to Diesel truck and tractor. Walmart has all I need in stock as either standard length or extra capacity for the lowest price. Oil is the least expensive there too...so it's one stop shopping. My truck alone takes 2.5 gallons of oil....so it adds up.
    IBILD High Resolution 3D Scanning Services

Wix is top rated.

I always ran napa filters on my gas trucks, I put a motor craft one on my 7.3, 10 bucks at Walmart along with the best price on rotella oil.

Blog Entries
    I have been Wix filters on all of my vehicles now for several years. My local O'Reilly stock them. I have been told that Napa Filters are rebranded Wix, but would have to do a little research to confirm that rumor.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Motorcraft or Pureolater
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have driven several vehicles way past 100,000 miles and I have yet to experience an engine failure. I can't even remember an engine that needed oil between changes. I just change the oil every 5,000 miles and use whatever filter the oil change place is selling at the time. I don't think the brand of oil filter makes much difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Have heard recently that Fram oli filters are not that good contrary to what I had believed. So who is making good filters these days? I need to change the oil in my car so the question as to brand is good....
    What is the basis for the sudden revelation of quality or the lack thereof?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    How do you tell from one filter to the next? It seems to me that this is something we either take on faith or find some reputable source that has done some sort of experimentation. Or perhaps, someone out there has a fleet of cars and can conduct a comparison. If you blow an engine, can you trace it down to bad filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What is the basis for the sudden revelation of quality or the lack thereof?
    I was watching a youtube video showing the poor quality of the fram filter. probably misinformation to be sure but it creates doubt about the product.

Blog Entries
    I was watching a youtube video showing the poor quality of the fram filter. probably misinformation to be sure but it creates doubt about the product.
    The old "if I found it on the internet it must be true" did this person take apart several other brands to show the difference? How did he measure the filtering capabilities? 🤔

Do a Google search regarding how much Fram filters and others stack up against each other.

Want to know what a good oil filter is? Ask a racer. When it means the difference between a few extra passes, laps or races before a rebuild they know what's up. Some filters puke early, mess with oil pressure and that means less support for the crank at high RPM. Doubt that matters to you but...

The next best thing is looking for websites out there that actually test the filters and cut them in half. There are a number of them.

Truth be told, an oil or filter thread can go in for eons with belly buttons being what they are. For me, one stop shopping and not Fram or K&N fits my needs. Find out what fits yours.
    IBILD High Resolution 3D Scanning Services

When it comes to oil filters, I default to dealer part. For such a small difference in cost relative to other more substantive things, I can't be bothered to think that the aftermarket part is in any way "superior". It takes the uncertainty out of the equation. It's just not worth arguing about.

Bob is the Oil Cult. And he's your uncle too, FWIW.

I've seen the video describing Fram filters as junk. Based upon the filter surface area contained in a Fram filter, they are a little short compared to other brands. Doesn't mean they are less effective though. I've had problems with the sealing rings on both Purlator and Fram filters falling out of their grooves. We have four vehicles parked in the driveway, two with about 130 K on them, and two with the north side of 230K. My 88 Nissian pickup went 540K before it died. 90 Honda civic went over 337K before the body rusted into. All used Fram filters, with 7500 mile oil changes. I have been using Walmart Super Tech synthetic oil for several years now.

For my Dodge 5.9 L diesel use Wix, Napa Gold, or OEM Mopar, the7.3 L Ford F250, only use Wix, or Napa Gold, when Motorcraft was used the bloody thing left drips wherever it was parked until quit using Motorcraft filters, won't comment about Baldwin filters, neutral about them.