Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: automobile oil filters...

A lot depends on your vehicle use. I do not live in a dusty area and the oil stays very clean and filter choice makes little difference. When I was working, I worked in a dusty, dirty area and my oil got dirty quicker and needed more frequent change.

So much depends on your vehicle, use and environment.

I am using the NAPA Platinum filters on everything I own with an oil filter (except my motorhome that they don't make one for). They are Wix XP filters. They were on sale for $4.99 last month at NAPA. I also use synthetic oil even though dino might be just fine.

The issues with FRAM filters is more than shorter surface area. The FRAM filter material also inferior to WIX/NAPA filter material, internal seal are made from carboard which can break off, the bypass valve is made from plastic vice metal and the metal.
    Suggest watching YouTube videos that take apart several filters that show how inferior
    standard FRAM filters are made. I primarily buy Napa Gold or Platinum filters made by WIX now.

Tip: Look at the NAPA Gold or Platinum Oil Filter box lower corners. Make sure WIX is mentioned to make sure it's made by them.

I do not drive my car that many miles a year now, so I can go 2 years between oil and filter changes.Because of that I use Wix filters which as Karl has stated are made of better materials and filtering media.
    I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in our cars.
    If the sub frames in my cars did not rust out I would have my vehicles for 40-50 years.
    For the first time in my life the oil monitor came on in our 2004 Lesabre with the 3.8L engine.The oil had run all the way down to the bottom of the dipstick!
    Luckily there was still enough oil in the engine to keep the engine lubricated. I had gone 1 1/2 years and did not check the oil after the first year.
    I did not know that the 3.8L engine by Buick had been known to use oil. More then I was ever accustomed to.All I ever heard was how reliable and great the engine was.
    I drive about 10,000 miles in 2 years so was at about 7500 miles when the oil got that low.
    I will never let that happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    When it comes to oil filters, I default to dealer part. For such a small difference in cost relative to other more substantive things, I can't be bothered to think that the aftermarket part is in any way "superior". It takes the uncertainty out of the equation. It's just not worth arguing about.

Bob is the Oil Cult. And he's your uncle too, FWIW.
    MFG oil filters are usually made by another company. For example, BMW is typically made by MANN, for 1/2 the cost, it is the same filter with a different logo on the box and different part number.

MANN, Wix, K&N, FRAM XG Series, Bosch Premium, Mobil 1 are all pretty good filters. Puralator used to be the bottom of the barrel junk but they have come a long way. I still won't use one or the other lower 'brands' like stp, champion, ecoguard etc.

With that said, most oil filters that are made, if changed at the proper interval would typically be fine. People have put billions of miles on their cars with the $2 oil filters that the quick lube oil change places use.

I stick to MAnn and Wix for my cars most of the time. It's easy enough to order a few for each car from Rock Auto and leave em on the shelf in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I do not drive my car that many miles a year now, so I can go 2 years between oil and filter changes.Because of that I use Wix filters which as Karl has stated are made of better materials and filtering media.
    I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in our cars.
    If the sub frames in my cars did not rust out I would have my vehicles for 40-50 years.
    For the first time in my life the oil monitor came on in our 2004 Lesabre with the 3.8L engine.The oil had run all the way down to the bottom of the dipstick!
    Luckily there was still enough oil in the engine to keep the engine lubricated. I had gone 1 1/2 years and did not check the oil after the first year.
    I did not know that the 3.8L engine by Buick had been known to use oil. More then I was ever accustomed to.All I ever heard was how reliable and great the engine was.
    I drive about 10,000 miles in 2 years so was at about 7500 miles when the oil got that low.
    I will never let that happen again.
    There is no standard anywhere that would consider that as oil consumption. 7500 miles and you had to add oil. That's unfortunate but lucky for you the oil monitor functions or you might have trashed the engine. There is another thread in this forum about oil consumption on a new vehicle and what's excessive. Based on what the owners of that brand say they would be tickled to death to have your problem. Checking the oil whenever you get gas isn't a bad practice. Also when you drive short drives which it sounds like that's what you do with the low miles you should be changing the oil at least yearly. You can google it and read all about it. Either way the slam against your engine is totally without merit. That would be considered excellent by any manufacturer. However the lack of regular oil changes may be doing damage to your engine.

I need to buy a new fuel filter for my truck. So do the same good/bad brands apply for fuel filters?
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    MFG oil filters are usually made by another company..
    Yes they are, but they're designed and built to spec for the car.

I've been working with cars for a long time, and the retail market is overflowing with parts that are "better than OEM", or intended to make your car "go faster", etc., and occasionally it's true, but it's often a wash, and it's all too frequently a crock. IMO there has to be a really good reason to go aftermarket, and saving a few dollars on a major-failure-risk item like an oil filter (even if only in the long term) doesn't qualify.

With the oil itself, OTOH, there are very specific industry-wide standards that have to be met, and it is labelled as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Yes they are, but they're designed and built to spec for the car.

I've been working with cars for a long time, and the retail market is overflowing with parts that are "better than OEM", or intended to make your car "go faster", etc., and occasionally it's true, but it's often a wash, and it's all too frequently a crock. IMO there has to be a really good reason to go aftermarket, and saving a few dollars on a major-failure-risk item like an oil filter (even if only in the long term) doesn't qualify.

With the oil itself, OTOH, there are very specific industry-wide standards that have to be met, and it is labelled as such.
    As are many others. We sample every oil from every engine we have and that's in the thousands. Our preferred filter is Donaldson. Oil sampling identifies issues before they become failures. That might be coolant in the oil or metals indicating possible bearing issues or cylinder wear. Every engine has a baseline and then a history created. There is nothing wrong with OEM filters and the choice is yours. But we don't have issues with aftermarket filters and very few engine failures that would be considered catastrophic. While filter quality might be more suspect in the automotive segment there are a lot of vehicles with high miles that probably haven't had an OEM filter since they were new.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Have heard recently that Fram oli filters are not that good contrary to what I had believed. So who is making good filters these days? I need to change the oil in my car so the question as to brand is good....
    So in the end i bought a wix filter which seems to be of good quality. A lot who replied mentioned wix so that is what i bought. But at a premium price point though.