Thread: New lathe ideas

New lathe ideas

Hey everyone.

I bought my first and only lathe back in 2008. Its a Jet 12-20 which I outgrew in about a month. I'm looking to replace it with something bigger. Any ideas on the best bang for my buck. I have some ideas but would like input from the turning group.

I'd like to have a larger than 6" clearance, and something that won't shake and move around if I'm roughing odd shaped logs into blanks or turning something 1" off center.

It would help to know your budget. If your money is low, I'd start with CL to see if you could find a good used machine such as a Jet or larger Grizzly. If money isn't the object, then maybe a PM 3520, Robust, Laguna, Oneway, Vicmarc, etc. It all depends on what you want.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I ❤️ My Grizzly G0800. I just wish it has the remote speed control and shutoff like some of the large lathes have.

I have had the GO800 since 2016 and am very happy with it I would like to have a remote control & shutoff but the lathe is great

5. Make that 3 in a row who have the G0800, and know it is a superb heavy duty beast of a lathe. Superb performance, 3 hp. Advanced induction motor/inverter combo, and ergonomic features. The remote pendant would be nice, but I get along fine the way it came from the factory. I have the bed extension that can be positioned in 3 different areas, allowing either 66” of distance between centers or in the lower position, which allows for around 40” turning off the end. I’m loving mine!

I also have the 22/42 G0766 3 hp lathe, and it has been superb for over 5 years....the best value on the market for a large lathe, and rivals any of the PM 3520b’s I have turned on in performance.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

What do you like/want to turn and what's your budget? Many of us are extremely happy with used Powermatic 3520 lathes (20" swing, 10" from center to bed). I also have a couple of Jet 1642 lathes (16" swing) which are almost the same but cheaper and somewhat lighter weight but will still turn off-center nicely, especially with some ballast weight or if you bolt it to the floor or make a brace to let the shop wall provide support - an amazingly effective method for any lathe. (the speed also makes a big difference in the size and the amount of imbalance a given lathe can handle)

No upper limit to the budget or limits to what you want to turn? Plenty of options. You can turn even miniatures on a big, high-quality lathe. Once you use one you won't believe how you got on for so long without it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    Hey everyone.

I bought my first and only lathe back in 2008. Its a Jet 12-20 which I outgrew in about a month. I'm looking to replace it with something bigger. Any ideas on the best bang for my buck. I have some ideas but would like input from the turning group.

I'd like to have a larger than 6" clearance, and something that won't shake and move around if I'm roughing odd shaped logs into blanks or turning something 1" off center.