Thread: Buying fibre laser for engravings, advice needed

Buying fibre laser for engravings, advice needed

Hi all,

I am looking for a new laser and would really appreciate some advice on it.

I will be using it for gifts personalisation and engraving: mainly wrist watches. 99%. Sometimes wood.

Simple engravings as are on the gifts. Sometimes logos if requested.

I am thinking about chinese 20w fiber laser for the task, it is priced about £3500 - £4000, found some for even 2.5k but + custom and vat taxes in uk. and I would like to fit in this budget. Someone has advised that 20w is more than enough.
    I have also noticed that my budget would fit 30w in some models.

Am I thinking correctly? Is it a good enough tool for task?

Any advice? Maybe I should look for cnc type engravers? impact engravers like Roland Metaza (do not really like it + lots of customer troubles as per reviews with the head in need to change every 60 - 70 engravings). Any alternatives?

I do really want to thank you for your replies

Carol,

Many shops use smaller rotary (CNC) type of machines with diamond toll to mark watches. Metaza is not what I would consider ideal machine for the task.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I agree with Tony. For this I'd suggest looking at Gravograph or Newing Hall. The fiber laser will not mark wood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Many thanks!
    As far I understand the fiber laser would deep engrave wood by burning?
    At least I saw that on Youtube.
    I currently have co2 laser, which does the job needed, but do not want to have two machines in the office if can make job with one only and the task is pretty simple

The wavelength of the fiber won't affect wood or most any organic material. I have charred compressed hardboard (masonite) with the fiber with a single line by using full power, very low speed, low frequency, out of focus, and multiple passes. You can't expect to do any kind of engraving on wood with a fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Buljon View Post
    Many thanks!
    As far I understand the fiber laser would deep engrave wood by burning?
    At least I saw that on Youtube.
    I currently have co2 laser, which does the job needed, but do not want to have two machines in the office if can make job with one only and the task is pretty simple

Wow Gary, many thanks! Really appreciate that!
    So in general the advise would be to look at cnc engravers like Gravograph m20 etc?
    Are there any other brands that I could look into?
    On that note: I really do not mind chinese machine, do not really discriminate, have plenty of experience with customs and imports.

Carol

I have an IS400 by Gravograph. It's a solid machine and there are a number of used ones for sale. It has an 8" x 12" engraving area.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Carol,

U-Marq in UK will have suitable machine for your needs.

Other machines makes are,
    Gravograph, Q1 Engravers, Vision, Xenetech, Roland
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Thanks so much!!!!!
    I had a look at some recommendations and some of the companies I have contacted before - needed to wait 2 weeks for a contact back. I would love to buy from a company that can offer bit more speed and if within a week or two I can have the machine - would be perfect.
    Anyone maybe could recommend specific model?
    BTW, logo engravings are quite important to me (so something like picture import and decent quality of engraving on small items is a must) and it should work on win10 64bits computer while engraving area can as small as 10cm on 10cm since it is wrist watches that I am engraving mainly. (I found some recommended brands on Ebay, but those are old machines and some do not even have USB, so would like to avoid it) hence considered fiber laser as a first option after watching youtube videos

Fiber on watchbacks, my job was to reproduce the originals after my watch guys refinished the backs...
    -the Rado was the first watchback I ever did by fiber-
    rado.jpg
    stMoritz.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Many thanks! I am afraid I cannot open the pictures it says that I do not have permission for that.
    Would you mind letting me know what kind of fiber laser you have? W? Lens size?

Many thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Buljon View Post
    Many thanks! I am afraid I cannot open the pictures it says that I do not have permission for that.
    Would you mind letting me know what kind of fiber laser you have? W? Lens size?

Many thanks for your input!

Click on the "Donate" link at the top of the page and consider becoming a contributor to the forums. Can be done for as little as $6 per year, then you can see the images and help support the continued access to this wonderful resource as well.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer