Thread: bench grinder question

bench grinder question

Does anyone know of a 8" bench or polishing grinder that comes with both forward and reverse gears? Variable or 2 speed would be ideal.
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    I have one similar to this. It has 6" wheels and is reversible. I use it for tool grinding - but perhaps you could adapt it for your purposes.
    David

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-Grinder/H7762

Grizzly H7762 - Reversible bench grinder.jpg

Unless you use plate mounted wheels, like the tool grinder shown, the wheel nuts will unscrew and the wheels will fly off. Even with a face shield they may damage your head.
    Any three phase motor is easily reversible.
    BILL D

I doubt you're going to find a standard bench grinder that is reversible.

Its probably cheaper to just buy another grinder and turn it around. This is what I did.

I use it for stropping.

Bench grinders are normally mounted horizontally with the switch facing towards you and the wheels spinning downwards. If instead you mount your grinder vertically with the switch facing upwards, the wheels will be spinning upwards, with no danger of the nuts unscrewing. Of course, in this orientation, the tool rest(s) won't be of much use, but if you want to use it for buffing or wire wheel brushing, it will work fine.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

As said another bench grinder would be cheaper.
    You could go all out and get a cheap three phase motor from somewhere used with a VFD/inverter if you want more power, reversible, variable speed, soft start if a small supply is concerned.
    Not exactly off the shelf though
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Check out the Glendo Accu-Finish.

https://accu-finish.com/product-category/finish
    The Series II is reversable but you can just use the other side of the wheel.

I have had the Series I for a long time (a gift from the bride). They've gotten really expensive since then. You can sharpen to a mirror finish with these things. They are made for carbide cutters and such but I sharpen mostly HSS for the metal lathe. The wheels turn very slow so there's no danger of overheating. They sell this stuff you put in a gallon of water and a gallon will last forever. You spritz some on the wheel and it cuts like crazy.

Interesting history. The company was founded by a fellow named Don Glaser. For the printers among you, you might remember a printing press company named Didde Glaser. Don was the engineer behind those presses. Normally, if you want to print multiple colors, you buy a multi color press. If you are printing a single color on a 4 color press, it's a waste of resource. Glaser came up with a sort of Lego printing press system. You could buy individual print heads that bolted together on a track. Using an overhead crane, you could move the heads where you needed them. You could add a web (roll) feeder, a sheet feeder, folding equipment. All these things fit together. Don was notorious for accuracy and quality and that got him in trouble with his partner. Then Glaser was forced out so the company could squeeze more profits and the company no longer exists. Glaser took his share and founded Glendo.

Glendo does just a few things. They make the Accu-Finish and they make equipment for metal engraving. I'm not into the engraving end but my understanding is that Emporia, Kansas is the place to go if you want to learn the art.

I think Glasers kids run the company now. It's still in Emporia. I can't speak to the quality but my Accu-Finish is great and I can still get wheels if I want (hmmmm.....).