Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone arrived. Dented. How bad is this?

Cyclone arrived. Dented. How bad is this?

Really excited my cyclone separator came. It’s the eBay one and feels pretty stout. I spun it around and noticed a dent. Check out the pics. How bad is that? Think a plunger can fix it? I can’t get my hand in there from the top but maybe from the bottom. Think this will effect the function much if at all? I contacted the seller to see what they suggest.

free image hosting

I think you can pop that out.

Strong magnet might work to pop it out....

Blog Entries
    If you can't get it round again, it will affect performance. Should be able to pop it out though.

If you have trouble popping it out yourself, I’ll bet an autobody place could do it in about a second.

Ha! Used a griptite magnetic feather board and popped right out. Sweet! Thanks for the idea guys.

just reach your arm in and pop it. Just watch sharp edges

If the walls flex that easy, how will this cyclone retain its shape and not collapse in on itself while in operation?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    If the walls flex that easy, how will this cyclone retain its shape and not collapse in on itself while in operation?
    That's a valid point. If it was pristine & round it should hold, but with the imperfections left by the old dent, it may not. It looks like kind of a flimsy homemade thing.

A cyclone is pressurized by the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    A cyclone is pressurized by the blower.
    WRONG. That is one of the most negative pressure area just ahead of the blower. The dust comes in the side and drops out by centrifugal action and "clean" air is drawn up the center to the blower. Dust bin below cyclone is under vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    WRONG. That is one of the most negative pressure area just ahead of the blower. The dust comes in the side and drops out by centrifugal action and "clean" air is drawn up the center to the blower. Dust bin below cyclone is under vacuum.
    There are positive pressure cyclones as well. I think this is not one though. I remember from Bill Pentz' site that push thru cyclones can use somewhat smaller blowers than pull through but the blower has to deal with debris unlike the pull through. Here's a bit from an industrial manufacturer:

https://www.agetmfg.com/news-events/...right-for-you/

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    ...push thru cyclones can use somewhat smaller blowers than pull through but the blower has to deal with debris unlike the pull through.
    This is actually something important...push through should never be equipped with a floor sweep for this reason. Metal picked up could strike a spark in the blower. Pull through separators, however, remove the debris before they get to the fan.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd send it back in exchange for a new one. Whoever sold it to you should stand behind it. I would never accept that. Not sure how performance is affected but my guess is that it will affect it negatively in some way.

I have that same cyclone, I do believe, and it's plenty sturdy enough for the Grizzly 1029 2hp I'm using. For whatever that's worth ...