Thread: Need help with shaper bushing

Need help with shaper bushing

I have a few cutterhead bodies that are part of a matched set, but they are bored to 45.8-46mm. They are the coping heads to the matched rail/stile sets if that sheds additional light. I have a few different sets from misenheimer and they each have typical rotation sticking profile in 1.25" bore, reverse rotation sticking in 1.25" bore, and then a coping profile with the larger bore. I cannot find a single online source to bush this larger bore down to 1.25" spindle. Has anyone experienced this size bore before? I may need to have a custom tbushing made, which i can have done im sure, but i wanted to see if the group had a commercial source first.

Hi Patrick, I haven’t seen one available off the shelf.

You can either have one made, or if you can find a 50mm sleeve to 1.25” then you could have the cutter bored.

Regards, Rod

Hey Rod,

I didnt think of going that route, so thanks for the other option. I figured this was going to be a custom thing. And i was incorrect, the coping heads are 1.25". The stick cutterhead is the larger bore. Im guessing 45-46mm is a common moulder spindle?

Bobby at Woodworkerstoolworks.com will make you a set. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Hey Rod,

I didnt think of going that route, so thanks for the other option. I figured this was going to be a custom thing. And i was incorrect, the coping heads are 1.25". The stick cutterhead is the larger bore. Im guessing 45-46mm is a common moulder spindle?
    Hi, 40 and 50mm are common, I wonder if you have a 1.75" bore?

Regards, Rod.

I thought the same thing, why is it 45.8mm? But the imperial equivalent isnt something that makes sense either. These cutterheads are out of a proshop, so they might have been using something like a hydrolock sleeve on these heads. I dont know enough about that stuff to give a competent answer.

David, thanks for the link. Im going to reach out to the smalltime local machinist that fixed a unisaw arbor for me awhile ago and see if he can do it for a decent price. Im assuming its going to be $50-100 for something like this. If he cant, then im going to Bobby. I would like stay local simply to reduce the risk of a poor fit. I want to hand the guy the cutterhead and remove myself from any form of measurement or involvement.

1-13/16" is a common moulder spindle diameter. Sounds like that is what you have. 46mm = 1.811. Are you pretty confident in your ID measurement?
    JR

probably the cheapest is to buy a sleeve of the correct outer diameter then hire someone to bore to suit. If it is a small amount you could do it with an adjustable reamer.
    Bil lD

30, 40 and 50mm common metric, 1 1/2, 1 13/16, 2 1/8"

I am pretty sure you have 1 13/16 tooling.

This is even better. 1-13/16" to 1-1/4" bushings do exist. I have a cheapy $15-20 pair of calipers, so im sure I am not getting the absolute best and most accurate measurement on the bore. I did it again last night and im getting consistent 1.808". Im going to order two bushings from Global tooling, and hope that they work out. They should though.

You can always chill the bushings and heat the tool body to ease install.
    JR