Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air dried Hickory for sale

You're doomed now Jay. Just hook the trailer to the truck and head south.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, this wood is hard. The mill that surfaced what I am using had a difficult time getting good surfaces. I feel that part of the problem was that they didn't pay attention to the first pass or two through their planer to see if the grain was lifting so they could turn the board end for end before continuing. I have a couple pieces that are basically firewood because of the tear out. They milled about 150 bdft for me.
    Are you saying that I could not reasonably expect to mill this using a Grizzly G0490 with carbide inserts and a DeWalt 735 with the Infinity carbide tipped blades?

I have planed some on my 12-1/2" Delta lunch box, with regular blades, but I wouldn't want to do a lot because the planer isn't designed for production work. I think the owner of the mill had two guys doing the work that really don't know what they were doing. When I plane or edge joint a board and I see small amounts of tear out, I reverse the feed direction and 9 times out of 10 I eliminate the tear out. I don't think the guys running this lumber for me knew what they were doing with regard to reading the grain. The tear out occurred where the ends of the cathedral grain points ended. Years ago my Dad and I ran 100 bdft through his old 12" planer with carbon steel blades and had no problem. I think you would be fine with carbide as long as you watch for the first signs of tear out and take appropriate action. I have been touching up edges with my hand plane and my jointer (HS steel knives) with no issues.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-17-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Okay, that sounds manageable. Thanks for the pictures! They make it even more tempting.

I will be extremely busy all weekend. I'll get back to you with a decision by Monday evening.