Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air dried Hickory for sale

Air dried Hickory for sale

I have about 210 bdft 10-12+ foot lengths of air dried, rough cut shag bark hickory that I'm willing to sell. Board widths vary from 4" to 10-3/4", with the majority being 5 to 6-1/2" widths. I doubt I will be making any more hickory furniture. This hickory has been stacked and stickered for over 30 years in an unheated building and based on what I've recently used from the stack it is all pretty nice stuff. Very little sap wood, virtually no knots and cabinet grade. I am asking at $1.00 per bdft. I would like to sell it all at once. No deliveries.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dang it. Sorry to miss out on this one.

Man, wish that I was about an hour closer, I'd take that off your hands. I love hickory.

John, worth the trip to visit Lee and scarf some of that nice material. Make an outing of it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

lee, what is the thickness?
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned". The Buddha

It is all rough cut at 1-1/16 to 1-1/8" rough sawed. For what I was doing I have it taken down to 3/4".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank goodness it is not 8/4 or thicker. If it was I would be looking at 4 1/2 hr trip which I don't want too do.
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned". The Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Thank goodness it is not 8/4 or thicker. If it was I would be looking at 4 1/2 hr trip which I don't want too do.
    I don't think I could pick up a 10 foot long 8/4 x 6" hickory board.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I don't think I could pick up a 10 foot long 8/4 x 6" hickory board.
    I've got a few 4/4 at 11" - 12" wide and 10' long--i can still pick them up when i HAVE to, but prefer to drag them!!
    earl

Lee,

I wish you were a few days closer!
    Ken

Speaking of hickory..

Just look at these saws.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...hoto/615229522

Soooooooo sweet!

I wish you had 8/4 hickory for sale...

About a year ago a exterior passage door came through our then finishers shop. It was made of wormy reclaimed hickory. It’s was wicked nice!

Y'all just keep him talking. I will be down that way in July and this special deal will no longer be available.

Really? Will no one step up and save me from this temptation?

Lee, I am seriously interested. In part because I don't believe there is quite enough in my basement shop for heirs to have to clear out.

Would you mind posting a picture so I can get a better idea what I would be getting into?

Well shoot, man. You guys are practically neighbors. Hitch up the wagon and get yer giddyup goin' long about sunrise.

And I hear ya about the basement shop. My heirs will be rememberin' me for months after I'm gone. If they are able to identify a Veritas tool from a Stanley, they'll be happy.

Sorry 'bout the dialect- been binge watching Gunsmoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    Really? Will no one step up and save me from this temptation?

Lee, I am seriously interested. In part because I don't believe there is quite enough in my basement shop for heirs to have to clear out.

Would you mind posting a picture so I can get a better idea what I would be getting into?
    Here you go:
    This is the bottom of the stack (it's up in the overhead)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	410037

Here is a side view of the stack Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3410.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	410033

Here are two boards that I just glued up to make doors for a cabinet (The lines are chalk marks): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	410039

Here is one side of the cabinet I'm currently making. These boards have been stained and finished: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3411.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	410040

Here is the other side of the same cabinet.: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3412.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	410041

In the interest of full disclosure, this wood is hard. The mill that surfaced what I am using had a difficult time getting good surfaces. I feel that part of the problem was that they didn't pay attention to the first pass or two through their planer to see if the grain was lifting so they could turn the board end for end before continuing. I have a couple pieces that are basically firewood because of the tear out. They milled about 150 bdft for me.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-17-2019 at 9:53 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)