Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68

Thread: Martin T-17 rebuild

  1. #16
    After having a few of these apart, I am not sure about the grease lube of that part. It always collects a bunch of dust in there and makes sticky dust cakes, but they all have been in good shape. I say light grease and keep on blowing that area out with compressed air.
    I eliminated the open bearings for the arbor and used shielded, too much of a PIA to get to the grease fittings and it makes a sticky dust mess. Still rated for 2x arbors max rpm. Motor got 2RS, had shielded one side and no way to lube them, looked to be original bearings??

  2. #17
    I reluctantly left mine dry. All the sawdust I found in it seemed to only make sense to not lube. On the other hand maybe the lube keeps pitch and whatnot from getting jammed in the gears?

    When I ordered bearings they showed up shielded. I popped a shield off one face for the arbor. For the motor I left them shielded.

    What’s your plan for the giant spring strut?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    After having a few of these apart, I am not sure about the grease lube of that part. It always collects a bunch of dust in there and makes sticky dust cakes, but they all have been in good shape. I say light grease and keep on blowing that area out with compressed air.
    I eliminated the open bearings for the arbor and used shielded, too much of a PIA to get to the grease fittings and it makes a sticky dust mess. Still rated for 2x arbors max rpm. Motor got 2RS, had shielded one side and no way to lube them, looked to be original bearings??

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    6,505
    Blog Entries
    7
    I think you need a lubricant. What about dry lube for chains?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

  4. #19
    Yeah I have been wondering/considering the same.

    I have no experience with dry lube except on bike chains like say T-9 i think it was called.

    On machinery though I really have no idea how it applies and or what brands are used..

    Been considering what I’ll use to lube the chains that turn the worm gear speaking of chains and lube.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I think you need a lubricant. What about dry lube for chains?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Inkerman, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    685
    Grease the spring and inside the tube, or it will squeak every time you tilt the blade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Darcy looks really nice.

    Is there any need to grease the worm gear?

    Iím loathing compressing that spring and getting the strut put back in my machine.

    Mark has outlined a fairly safe way to do it but Iím still nervous. Anything can go wrong at anytime and with a spring like that preloaded removing it from a arbor press with that shim in there and handling it while I get it back in the machine has me with some pretty cold feet.

    I probably look back and wonder what I made a big deal about. Well hopefully......

  6. #21
    IMG_20190610_155526_546.jpg

    Wish it was a slider, but still happy to have a 77 back in the shop. I will always miss my 77 slider.

  7. #22
    Captain slacker pants checking in.

    Base done, ready to start going back together

    20190829_143005.jpg
    IMG_20190829_143807_794.jpg

  8. #23

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    6,505
    Blog Entries
    7
    Looks great.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ouray Colorado
    Posts
    956
    Looking good Darcy. Looks like a close color match to the original.
    Did you mention that you use water base paint? What brand?

  11. #26
    Yes, it's an industrial acrylic enamel.
    Comes from a local paint store, made by Harrison paint company.

    It's taken a while to get my reduction correct with floetrol and a bit of water.

    IMG_20190903_235911_208.jpg

    20190903_234254.jpg

  12. #27
    Stupid dust shields are driving me up the wall.20190903_234310.jpg

  13. #28
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 09-05-2019 at 3:58 PM.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Inkerman, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    685
    Looking good!
    Whats is the issue with the dust shields?

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Looking good!
    Whats is the issue with the dust shields?
    Other than they are just a total pia to deal with (the ones on the frame are pretty much useless) had it with drive screws, drilled and tapped all the ones on the arbor assembly for 8-32s.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •