Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made it to the finish line!

Made it to the finish line!

Today is the first day of retirement!! 35 years of corporate IT is enough..

If I can catch up on the yard work and the house maintenance, I hope to actually get some quality time in the shop. I have at least a dozen projects on the drawing boards, including the drawing board itself..

So, off to cut bed edges and mulch..
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 06-04-2019 at 9:10 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Congratulations on retiring. It can be a productive and rewarding time.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Congratulations
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Brian, the house and yard chores will always be there. Once you're retired, the trick is to work them in around the time you spend doing the things you enjoy doing.

A friend of mine retired earlier this year. She told me she'll sit down and bury herself in a good book just as soon as she has cleaned her house. She hasn't cracked that book yet.

Congrats, the fun begins now! I have been retired for a little over 8 years. I couldn’t imagine getting back into that rat race.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congratulations Brian! Enjoy it! I surely don't miss the corporate world.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Put off till tomorrow what doesn't necessarily need to be done today. BTW, tomorrow never comes. HaHa. That's my motto. Retired now for 15 years and enjoying every minute of it. Do what I want, most of the time, and will not lock myself into anything that comes with a time period.
    Enjoy your retirement. You've earned it!
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Congrats! I'm counting down the days. Unfortunately for me that's in the neighborhood of 12,500 days, and that's if my generation is allowed to retire before 70.

Wes, you have a long way to go. Here's hoping you hit the lottery!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congratulations! Hope retirement is everything you imagined it to be!

Congratulations now you can work on the things you want to do.

Talking Thanks all!

Thank you all! Someone mentioned reading... I do have a pile of books that I never seemed to have time for.

I'm sure that after a nice period of time to relax and clear my head, I'll get an itch to get involved in something. Just my nature. But I have no real ideas right now what that might be.

The woodworking club that I belong to builds furniture at the local furniture bank. Now that I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off...... I look forward to volunteering there.

It's funny as I sit here and watch a baseball game, I noticed that I'm a lot more alert than usual. Nice not having thoughts of tomorrow's work invading my evening.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Finish line? No, you just hit the starting line -- the start of a life where you're in complete control of what you do. Congratulations!

I agree with Jamie and it's also been my exact experience over the last year and a half after I "took the plunge" myself. Get used to being even more busy! LOL (Congratulations!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You are in for the time of your life!

As much as I love doing what I want, you will meet some very interesting characters!

Good Luck, Ron