Thread: Side Rabbet Planes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Side Rabbet Planes?

Hi All,

I occasionally see side rabbet planes on that auction site. I have wondered how useful they are.

Do any of you use a side rabbet plane, and which one? Are they an important plane in your arsenal? Finally, how important is the depth stop?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

I have a #79 side rabbet plane. I'm not sure where I bought it originally. I use it occasionally. It is handy when you need it. For me the depth stop helps, but it probably isn't critical.

I find though that I tend to mess up the depth of dados and rabbets much more often than the width, so I end up using my #71 more frequently.

Blog Entries
    For me the #98 & 99 side rabbet planes are very handy. They help to clean up rough sides on grooves and dados.

In my opinion having the depth stop is important. The blade can extend a bit below the skate. Without a depth stop, it could tear up the bottom of the work.

The early side rabbets didn't have depth stops. Someone must have felt they were needed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a side rabbet I bought online from Woodcraft. I very seldom use it. But I when I need it, I'm glad to have it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have a 79. It does not get used a lot, but when you need it you need it.

I find them very useful for fitting dados. The side rebate plane is more precise than a chisels when tuning (widening) a dado to fit a panel ...

This was the fit ...

The Veritas, above, is excellent. Here is is being used for a stopped dado. I use it interchangeably with the LN #98/99 pair.

I also have a Stanley #79. This has been modified to plane sliding dovetails ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Adding a wedge to the depth stop turns your ordinary SRP into a sliding dovetail plane: I added a wedge made of Corian to the depth stops of my LN SRPs and I wouldn't be without them for sliding dovetails.

fullsizeoutput_87.jpeg

For me its one of those dedicated use tools we all have and probably rarely use it.

In those cases where the dado needs some tuning, I find it much easier, to lightly plane a board edge to fit the dado.

Got a minty used LN 98/99 in a package deal with a few other LN/Veritas planes and have used them occasionally. Recently I scored an unused, in original box Stanley #79 at an estate sale for $10. Didn't need it but for that price I couldn't leave without it. I've used it and like it. Different feel than the 98/99 and, as Derek noted, great when modified for sliding dovetails. IMO, the depth stop is essential to these planes.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 05-13-2019 at 3:52 PM.

I use a 79 that I bought new. That was probably in the mid '70's, and it's a great thing to have when it's needed. I have never used it enough to wear out the irons though. It's still all original. I wouldn't want to be without one, or a matched pair of some fancier type. I've used it for anything from old sash window parting stops, to rabbeted cabinet door edges to get a little more clearance.