Thread: A Router Table with Rack and Pinion Linear Motion DRO Fence Build Document

A Router Table with Rack and Pinion Linear Motion DRO Fence Build Document

I finally completed the build document for my Router Table with Rack and Pinion Linear Motion DRO Fence. Since it's 16 pages long the I'm sharing it as a PDF file. It includes a step by step build description including parts links embedded throughout the build story and a complete list of parts with cost at end of the document. The PDF can be viewed and downloaded here: Router Table with Rack and Pinion Parallel Linear Motion DRO Fence.pdf
    I'm interested to hear what you think of my idea.

Final.jpg

-- Tom

Great Document Tom

That will give me some valuable information when it comes time to rebuild my router table.

Doug

Thanks Doug. That's pretty much why I spent so much time documenting the process.

I think I've now been bitten by the tool building bug. I have a ton of ideas how to build an ever better and power actuated fence but I'm going to give that a rest for a couple of years. I want to try my hand next on some wireless power actuated blast gates since I'm in the process of installing a cyclone and pipe this summer.

VERY cool man! And well done! Im sure more than a few people will find this interesting and helpful!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Outstanding job Tom! Gives me another avenue to consider, I was thinking about using steppers for fence control. Sadly, I have several other projects in line ahead of that

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    I think I've now been bitten by the tool building bug.
    I think you may have to add documenting & presentation to that list

I'm working on making a dedicated mortiser out of a 17" Delta drill press head & a customized Craftsman swing-saw base. I've got the "Y" axis figured out, But your information should help me out a lot with the "X" axis.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    I think you may have to add documenting & presentation to that list

I'm working on making a dedicated mortiser out of a 17" Delta drill press head & a customized Craftsman swing-saw base. I've got the "Y" axis figured out, But your information should help me out a lot with the "X" axis.

Doug
    Nice job! Hey Doug you may want to check out my Sketchup drawing of My Griz mortiser for some ideas. I'm totally anal about accuracy in my drawings so it may give you some ideas. It has a couple of rack and pinion movements and dovetail ways. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...tising-Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Viellenave View Post
    Outstanding job Tom! Gives me another avenue to consider, I was thinking about using steppers for fence control. Sadly, I have several other projects in line ahead of that
    My objective this time was to build something that anyone could reproduce and as cheaply as possible, but I'm SO gonna do one some day with motorized linear actuators and software to position exactly where I want! But not this year. My project list has totally grown exponentially while I was working on this one and I need to catch up so I empathize.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    Hey Doug you may want to check out my Sketchup drawing of My Griz mortiser for some ideas.
    Thanks for the link, But unfortunately my 8+ year old computer still running Vista doesn't work well with most newer software.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    Thanks for the link, But unfortunately my 8+ year old computer still running Vista doesn't work well with most newer software.

Doug
    You don't need to run Sketchup on your computer to view it. You just need a browser. If you click the link it will take you to the 3D warehouse and you just need to click on the model image. There is a server running in the cloud that will load it up and from the browser window you can zoom in and rotate the drawing to get an up close look at it. It doesn't require a powerful computer just something like Google Chrome or Firefox which the 32 bit version can run on Vista. Internet (Exploder doesn't do so well.)