Thread: Walnut desk build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walnut desk build

I am new to woodworking and have started a couple of challenging projects and need some advice (I should have asked before I finished the first project and almost finished the second). The tables will be used as ,y desks at my new office in a few weeks.

I am working on two desk builds, the first one is 60”x21” (second photo) and is now complete with tapered legs set at a 45deg angle to the sides. The legs are attached with dominos and glue.

The second table (inserted upside down on purpose) is 32x48 with tapered and splayed legs. I started rounding the edges yesterday and will hopefully finish tomorrow. The top is currently dry fitted to the legs with dominos, i have not dominoed the apron yet and am wondering if I should or if just the legs are enough.

My main concerns are sagging on the long table and warping on the wider table. Do you think this is a concern. The wood was all thoroughly dried before starting work. Also, do you think I need a center stringer on the long table? It would be hard to fit one now with the roundover I have already done, but I am sure I could figure something out.

B350BBCA-3F63-4D0E-851E-01D436C79046.jpgA05A4789-ACB9-49BC-AD93-6848770DDA2B.jpg
    Last edited by Paul F Mills; 05-12-2019 at 8:46 PM.