Thread: Splitter Question for Used Unisaw I Just Bought

Splitter Question for Used Unisaw I Just Bought

Thanks to all who commented on my thread about the Unisaw and the Ridgid. As soon as i looked at the Unisaw i knew it was right. It is waiting patiently in my garage for reassembly, once i score a mobile base at a decent price. It was way easier to move than I thought.

Next on my mind is a splitter of some sort, I see options out there, but this unit is early 2000's, so no riving knife. Delta splitter appears to be chucked by original guy.

What makes sense here without breaking the bank. Microjig splitter set up or something from Leeway. I haven't quite figured out the Leeway website yet, lots of options.

Any input is appreciated.

Mike

Lots of folks make a wooden zero clearance insert and glue a wood spliter in that.

If you get lucky, you might find an old Biesemeyer snap in splitter made for the Uni. They are stationary, but remove with the pull of a knob, so are easy to use. I have one, and it works well.

Be careful on E-bay and Amazon. They have them, but they are the splitter blades for the newer models. Thin kerf blades take a thinner blade, which may still be available.

Maybe you could build one or get the Micro Jig. Either will work as Bill indicated.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-12-2019 at 9:17 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I made a couple of different size splitters out of steel. Took a couple of hours; cost less than $5. One or the other is on the saw for every through cut. They come off with a 1/4 turn of the nut that holds them to the stock splitter mounting point under the blade insert.

John

Good ideas, thanks, need to think this thru once saw is assembled. I like the low buck ideas....

Mike I have one of the Sharkgaurd Adjustable riving knife models. It works real well,you get a great guard and dust collection off the blade as well as the riving knife function. It is worth the money. Mike.

I have seen wood inserts where they drill a small hole behind the blade and glue a wood or plastic dowel of the correct diameter.
    Bill D.

I love this design easy to adapt to a unisaw since the 12/14 is just a overgrown unisaw. I would use a linear rail for the rear slide setup. This link is about 9 years old so I am happy to get it bumped up for more input. I have no relation to it other then looking at it and dreaming of building one.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....knife-retrofit

Like others, I have the Leeway Sharkguard. It's been a good addition to my saw and I recommend them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You could buy one of these, if you are like me. I only use a splitter when rip sawing solid wood. Only solid boards will close around the blade as you cut it. I have a Brett Guard for above the blade. The pop-up splitter works great for me and pushes down out of the way under the table insert when I'm not using it. It's always there and easy to lift into place when I do need it. This one will fit all Unisaws. Before spending this much money, do a search for a used one. That's how I got mine. Those who convert to a Shark Guard are the best sources for used.

https://www.amazon.com/DELTA-34-868-.../dp/B0007SXGQ0

Charley