Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Bill Pentz air cleaner

  1. #1

    Bill Pentz air cleaner

    To filter the air in his home, Bill designed an air cleaner comprised of a Wynn nanofilter (13F230nano) with a Vortex 8” powerfan and elbow sitting on top of the filter.

    Has anyone built and used one of these in their shop instead of a Jet, JDS, etc., filter that hangs from the ceiling? Seems like it would work well.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Thanks Brian. My search didn’t turn up that thread. Guess I need more practice😬

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canonsburg PA
    Posts
    40
    Though not portable my shop air filter was inspired by the Pentz design. While searching, like you are now for user experience I happened across a Stumpy Nubs video where he used a Wynn filter or something similar to add on to a overhead filter... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6P7VV2DUY

    I'm very happy with my home grown system, it's quiet, filters much finer partials then a store bought overhead unit, preforms far better than I expected and didn't break the bank at about $300. If I had it to do all over again. I would pay more attention to the details. It took little more than an hour putting it together. Other than change the pre-filters and adding a cheap remote switch I have not had to do anything to it.

    Sorry the photos are turned. I tried to fix it and couldn't get the to post correctly.

    20190211_101736.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Thanks Rege- looks like you’re drawing air into and then exhausting out through the large filter, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canonsburg PA
    Posts
    40
    Yes, mine draws air into the pre filter then forces it through the Wynn nano filter by design. I really wanted pre-filter because those Wynn filter are not cheap. It is seldom mentioned but the higher efficiency filters are usually directional. I don't recall Mr. Pentz mentioning that in his article and I wondered it he was reversing to proper flow. Honestly, I don't how much difference it would make. I recall when I worked with medical equipment the tech in our clean room explained running a filter in the wrong direction would cause the air flow restrict faster and it would not clear (clean) when the flow was reversed.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rege Sullivan View Post
    Yes, mine draws air into the pre filter then forces it through the Wynn nano filter by design. I really wanted pre-filter because those Wynn filter are not cheap. It is seldom mentioned but the higher efficiency filters are usually directional. I don't recall Mr. Pentz mentioning that in his article and I wondered it he was reversing to proper flow. Honestly, I don't how much difference it would make. I recall when I worked with medical equipment the tech in our clean room explained running a filter in the wrong direction would cause the air flow restrict faster and it would not clear (clean) when the flow was reversed.
    I agree that pre-filters are a great idea. Which fan are you using?- couldn’t tell from the pics.
    i don’t think Bill mentioned filters being directional, I don’t know anything about them. I think he said he reversed the flow on his because it filtered better.

    Regarding the Stumpy Nubs video, he placed the nano filter on the exhaust of a Jet AFS-1000B. I’m wondering if that type of fan/impeller will push air through as well as a vortex fan? I have the 1000B and if so, it would make for an easy upgrade.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canonsburg PA
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    I agree that pre-filters are a great idea. Which fan are you using?- couldn’t tell from the pics.
    i don’t think Bill mentioned filters being directional, I don’t know anything about them. I think he said he reversed the flow on his because it filtered better.

    Regarding the Stumpy Nubs video, he placed the nano filter on the exhaust of a Jet AFS-1000B. I’m wondering if that type of fan/impeller will push air through as well as a vortex fan? I have the 1000B and if so, it would make for an easy upgrade.
    I replied last night but when I tried to correct a mistake this morning, I somehow deleted the whole post... I'll try again.

    It consists of an iPower 8" 750 CFM Inline duct fan/exhaust blower, Wynn nano filter, 8” metal duct, a Radon Away 50017 easy read manometer and two merv 8 16x25 furnace filters are the components. I added a cheap remote later… should have done that sooner.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://wynnenv.com/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQELHBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I think Mr. Pentz is right about increasing filter efficiency by reversing the flow from what I remember. The downside is the filter loads (clogs) faster increasing efficiency (collects more and smaller particles) but reversing the flow is not very effective unloading (doesn’t clean by blowing compressed air through it). That said, with a merv 8 pre-filter and 750 or less cfm it would be a long time before you had to replace the filter, probably a lifetime filter for most home shops… well, at my age it would be!

    Stumpy’s set ups seems like and expensive pre-filter and blower with less pre-filter area than two cheap 25x16 furnace filters. But since you already have it why not give it a try? You can always reuse the nano filter on a homebuilt system and if you like it better sell the Jet. Because you only decreasing the cfm a little by adding and additional filter and, duct I don't think you will SEE a difference either better or worse unless you have a meter like the dylos pro to measure the smaller 2.5 partials. In fairness, I have no way to directly compare a overhead unit because I never had one in my shop. I've been in other shops using overheads (don't remember the brand) but they seemed relatively loud on high speed.
    Last edited by Rege Sullivan; 05-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rege Sullivan View Post
    I replied last night but when I tried to correct a mistake this morning, I somehow deleted the whole post... I'll try again.

    It consists of an iPower 8" 750 CFM Inline duct fan/exhaust blower, Wynn nano filter, 8” metal duct, a Radon Away 50017 easy read manometer and two merv 8 16x25 furnace filters are the components. I added a cheap remote later… should have done that sooner.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://wynnenv.com/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQELHBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I think Mr. Pentz is right about increasing filter efficiency by reversing the flow from what I remember. The downside is the filter loads (clogs) faster increasing efficiency (collects more and smaller particles) but reversing the flow is not very effective unloading (doesn’t clean by blowing compressed air through it). That said, with a merv 8 pre-filter and 750 or less cfm it would be a long time before you had to replace the filter, probably a lifetime filter for most home shops… well, at my age it would be!

    Stumpy’s set ups seems like and expensive pre-filter and blower with less pre-filter area than two cheap 25x16 furnace filters. But since you already have it why not give it a try? You can always reuse the nano filter on a homebuilt system and if you like it better sell the Jet. Because you only decreasing the cfm a little by adding and additional filter and, duct I don't think you will SEE a difference either better or worse unless you have a meter like the dylos pro to measure the smaller 2.5 partials. In fairness, I have no way to directly compare a overhead unit because I never had one in my shop. I've been in other shops using overheads (don't remember the brand) but they seemed relatively loud on high speed.
    Thanks Rege- looks like my previous response vanished somehow. I’m going to get a Dylos pro to find out where I’m at and go from there. Unfortunately not enough interest in a group buy. I’ll post up some numbers when I get them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canonsburg PA
    Posts
    40
    I'm interested in your results. I'd be grateful if you would post your findings.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rege Sullivan View Post
    I'm interested in your results. I'd be grateful if you would post your findings.
    You bet!👍🏻

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post

    Regarding the Stumpy Nubs video, he placed the nano filter on the exhaust of a Jet AFS-1000B. I’m wondering if that type of fan/impeller will push air through as well as a vortex fan? I have the 1000B and if so, it would make for an easy upgrade.
    A few weeks ago I posted a related query, but got no responses.

    I've been thinking about adding this true HEPA filter to my two JDS 750's.
    https://www.filtersfast.com/p-hepa-filter-IH1PS0-2412115-24x12x11-5.asp?relp=2
    (ignore the picture as is shows the wrong dimensions)

    But I have no idea if that will add too much pressure for the JDS's smallish blower.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    A few weeks ago I posted a related query, but got no responses.

    I've been thinking about adding this true HEPA filter to my two JDS 750's.
    https://www.filtersfast.com/p-hepa-filter-IH1PS0-2412115-24x12x11-5.asp?relp=2
    (ignore the picture as is shows the wrong dimensions)

    But I have no idea if that will add too much pressure for the JDS's smallish blower.
    Are those prices correct? How bout a Filtrete 2800 MPR? Much cheaper and may work as well.

    If you don’t have a particle counter your never going to know what your air quality is. So you may end up spending money to clean up air that doesn’t need cleaned.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Are those prices correct? How bout a Filtrete 2800 MPR? Much cheaper and may work as well.
    That's only Merv 14. Not really even close to true HEPA.

    The ones I linked to are Merv 16, and that's the best price I can find anywhere, for the 12" x 24" size.

    You can also get Merv 16 bag filters, but with just a course pre-filter in front, they might get clogged too fast.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-25-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •