Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 inch band saw recommendations

20 inch band saw recommendations

I have a nine year old Agazzani B20 band saw that the motor went out on. The last time I searched for parts for it, they were very hard to find (yes I contacted Jesse at Eagle Tools). Because of this problem and the fact that I have had a few problems with this saw over the nine years, I am thinking about purchasing a new band saw. I have looked at a Tannewitz and a Felder. Any advice or recommendations? I cut mostly curves in THICK glue ups and larger circular shapes

Mark,
    Please email me at ******
    Had a couple questions about your saw. Your PM’s are turned off.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Matt Day; 05-12-2019 at 7:14 PM.

Is there a reason you just don't replace or rewind the motor? Are you looking to upgrade? The older Aggis had a little lighter trunnion but were considered top of the heap. The SCM/Centauro is about the only possible upgrade to your saw in that size. Dave

Not sure I will be able to find a motor. I think it may be a bearing

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    My vote..

Shame on you, making your helper do the work while you're snapping photos. The saw must be 7x her body weight, certainly better for you than if it were the other way around!

BTW, I have the same saw, and second your recommendation.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-12-2019 at 7:54 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

obviously that was staged to be funny.

But that helper is actually my mother and my best friend.

She is the hardest worker I have ever met and shy’s away from no task regardless of ability fear you name it.

I owe everything I am to her, and oh it’s mother’s day. Here’s to moms everywhere the hardest workers of us all.

th[QUOTE=Edwin Santos;2926484]
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    My vote..

/QUOTE]

Shame on you, making your helper do the work while you're snapping photos. The saw must be 7x her body weight, certainly better for you than if it were the other way around!

BTW, I have the same saw, and second your recommendation.

I've had nineteen years of good experience with my Laguna LT16HD. A buddy of mine has had almost as many years on an LT24. They're both built in Italy by ACM to Laguna's specs. If I were looking for a 20" saw, a LT20 would certainly be on my candidate list.

No secret that I'm a fan of SCM/MiniMax for bandsaws...give Sam Blasco a call and see what he can do for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For some reason I am unable to see these photos

Members can’t view photos anymore due a rule change here. Become a contributor ($6/yr payable by PayPal or check) to get access. This supports the owners that provide this platform ad free.

Motor should be a standard C face metric frame motor. Either a motor or a rewind should cost in the 500-700 range at worst. If it is a bearing issue, it will cost <100 plus some time to swap the motor bearings. Pull the motor and take it to a shop if you don't know how to deal with it. At least you will be making the decision with knowledge of the alternatives. Dave

What were your other problems? It doesn't seem like any of the saws mentioned as alternatives are much, if any, of a step up over Agazzani.

John

I'm pretty fond of my new Felder FB710.

Bandsaw-in-Workshop-for-Web.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-12-2019 at 9:20 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

One the owwm site, Tannewitz is considered the top of the heap. If you are talking about one of those, then you won't do any better.