Thread: Woodwork Projects for Kids

Woodwork Projects for Kids

I am part of Makerspace Group, and I am looking for some simple woodwork projects for kids. We have various age groups, and a limited amount of space- room for about 6 kids at a time. Looking for various projects to engage them - like boxes, candy dispensers - anything they can create in a couple of hours.

Thanks

Pat

Hello, I cut out parts for birdhouses. Then I assemble the birdhouses with 1 inch drywall screws.. Then I sand them.
    Disassemble the and let the kids assemble them using 1 1/4 drywall screws. They only use a Phillips screwdriver.
    They seem to enjoy making them.
    Good luck, Kevin

3349FCF6-6A6D-4D2C-A4A6-574CCF0FD4F2.jpgF2519CB8-6287-40ED-A579-98B00A3F7D15.jpg

Blog Entries
    There are numerous plans out there for rubber band powered race cars.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bird Houses, toy cars, air plane toy, coat hanger (board with pegs), box for crayons. Also tons of projects out there with popsicle sticks from baskets to toys.

You were not specific as to age group, but, Paul sellers feels that making a frame saw is a great project to do with a child. Obviously some parts would need to be at least partially prepared ahead of time. I have not tried it, so I cannot comment on the time he says it will take. He doe almost everything in under an hour, but his blades are already pre-drilled and cut to length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4LohjmskEk

If I remember correctly, he made blades from these:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0554/100553596

They are inexpensive, but, you could also purchase blades pre-cut to size from Highland if I remember correctly.

Other obvious choices were already mentioned, but even those mostly require a certain level of preparation.

What about Gum Ball machine plans for kids - anybody got anything?

Pat

Hi Pat,

Makerspace is very cool. I'm the CFO of a private foundation in Denver. We just funded a Makerspace project in rural southeast Colorado that seeks to engage older adults in projects using wood, glass, metal, fabric and plastic.

Cheers,
    Mark