Thread: Need Some Help Identifying A Lathe!

Need Some Help Identifying A Lathe!

I recently picked up a small flat-belt driven lathe from C/L that's clearly a pieced together project.
    I've been trying to figure out who made what. I know the banjo & tool-rest are Delta by the casting #s, But the headstock & tailstock I haven't been able to figure out.

I'm sure the bed & the square ways are the result of a DIY project, It looks like the bed was made from regular 1/8" thick 1-1/2" angle-iron with some 1/2" square stock for the ways
    IMG-5181.jpgIMG-5202.jpg

The headstock & tailstock have slots milled into them to fit the square ways, But either the machining was off a little or the headstock & tailstock are from different lathes. They don't line up through the full length of the ways.
    IMG-5205.jpgIMG-5204.jpgIMG-5249.jpgIMG-5250.jpg

The headstock end of the bed/ways have been milled down to correct the alignment issues and there's set-screws on both sides of the headstock's base to help fine-tune it.
    IMG-5248.jpgSet-Screws.jpg

More pictures to follow.

Doug

More pictures of the lathe.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Might be a Westcraft from the 50's.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Might be a Westcraft from the 50's.
    Thanks for the information!
    I searched for Westcraft lathes & wasn't able to find any flat-belt driven models?

While searching for "Westcraft" I stumbled upon a Western Electric Co. lathe! Not a total match, But it's the closest to mine that I've seen.

It's possible that Westcraft made lathes for Western Electric Co. ?

Doug

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    It's my understanding that the Westcraft machinery was sold by Western Automotive, which was (obviously) known for it's car parts but apparently also offered other things, too.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."