Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Drum Sander Choice, Jet Vs. Supermax

Help with Drum Sander Choice, Jet Vs. Supermax

I’m in the market for a drum sander, it will be used for general woodworking out of my small 1 car garage. Space is at a premium, I’m looking at the Jet and Supermax 16-32, the Jet is on sale at the moment, would need to get the casters for either unit.

Any my advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 05-12-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Hello Bill,

My input might be dated since I own the original, American made, Performax 16-32. The only change I've made to it was to replace the original hood so I could have a 4" dust port. I have put over twenty thousand linear feet of lumber through it; mostly walnut, 8 to 14 inches wide. Never a problem. And I have always been amazed that it never requires adjustment to keep the drum parallel bed.

So you've got a dilemma; do you buy the Jet which is basically the original 16-32, or the Performax from the company who invented the original 16-32? Can't help you there. I can only endorse the general design as a workhorse that I wouldn't be without.

One thing, I would never consider this machine without the infeed and outfeed tables, it would be miserable to use. That said, when you install the tables this machine it grows considerably. So keep this in mind since your space is limited.

Oh, and a dust collector isn't optional. A shop vac will fill rapidly... too rapidly.

Best of luck,

Scott in Montana
    Last edited by Scott Stafford; 05-12-2019 at 12:35 PM.

I bought the SuperMax 16-32 from Woodcraft about a year ago using the 10% off coupon they mailed me around my birthday. They also put them on sale for 10% off every few months.

I've been completely pleased with its performance. I agree about having the infeed and outfeed tables. They help move wood through it quite well, especially on the outfeed side for smaller parts. I've only ever had one issue with it and that was self-inflicted the first time I loaded sandpaper onto the roll. I didn't get the tail end clamped properly which caused it to flap around like crazy when I turned the unit on. I've not had that issue repeat, which tells me I basically learned how to load it properly.

I almost always use 220 grit paper in mine to ease to a final thickness. I do like the two methods of adjusting the roller height but admittedly almost always use just the crank. I don't use the digital gauge all that often, but it has been helpful on some projects.

I've never used the Jet, so I can't speak to it but I've been very pleased with the SuperMax. I recommend it without reservation.

Gary

I have a newer 16-32 SuperMax, and although I've never had a Jet, I would recommend the SuperMax without any qualifications. Mine came out of the box close to perfectly adjusted and has performed flawlessly for almost a year. I've sanded everything from heavy stock 2+ inches thick x 15" wide and 12' long to finer stuff 1/2" x 2" x 12". It has done it all. Mine is on casters and stores neatly out of the way when not in use.

Another vote for the Supermax. Zero problems with mine, just a solid machine. The quick height adjust feature is nice which, if I'm remembering correctly, the Jet doesn't have.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I guess not too much experience with the Jet Unit, I’ll just wait till the next Supermax sale and make sure to pick up the extension tables along with it.

I had a Jet 16-32 about 10 years ago. Found it impossible to get the clamp to work properly.
    Sold it when I moved and bought a Supermax 19-38. The clip works better, but otherwise there isn't much difference between them. Hopefully Jet has improved the clip by now.

I had tables on the Jet and found them to be useless; so I didn't get them on the Supermax and don't miss them. I can't understand why others find them so valuable. You just hold the other end as you feed it in, and when it is half way, grab the end coming out. What do tables change?

I bought the Supermax and very happy with it.

9. I took delivery of a Supermax 19/38 last week and am pleased so far. The parts fit and finish are very nice and it went together easily and adjusted in a few minutes. I did not get the infeed and outfeed tables yet and so far do not see a real need for them, although that might change. Casters are a must as it is quite heavy.

I bought a 19/38 just over a year ago and am very happy with it. I don't have tables, it's big enough as it is and I mostly run short pieces through it anyway. I was looking at the 16/32 but it only opened to 3" and the one I bought opens to 4", which makes a big difference for the work I'm doing. I don't know what the Jet specs are.
    Zach

I bought the Jet 22/44 about a year ago and have been very pleased. Irrespective of which way you go, changing paper is a bit of an art. You think it's tight but it isn't. After changing, suggest that you run a piece of scrap through, then check to see if you have any slack in the paper...I typically do.

Thanks everyone again, I think I will wait for a Supermax sale, with something this expensive, if I don't hear from allot of people with positive experience with the Jet, seems prudent to wait for a Supermax Sale.

Any ideas when the next sale is coming out?

[QUOTE=

Any ideas when the next sale is coming out?[/QUOTE]

Probably right after the next price increase.

I have the newest SM 16-32. Like it a lot with the folding tables and casters. Doesn't take up too much shop space. Tables are a pain to get initially adjusted, though. Paper change is easy. Quick adjust is nice, as is the auto feed adjust. Not sure if these are affected by latest tariffs. If it were me, I wouldn't wait expecting to save money.

Scott,

I have an old Performax 16/32, and I'd like to replace the hood to increase the size of the dust collection port. Can you provide any information on what part you bought?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stafford View Post
    Hello Bill,

My input might be dated since I own the original, American made, Performax 16-32. The only change I've made to it was to replace the original hood so I could have a 4" dust port. I have put over twenty thousand linear feet of lumber through it; mostly walnut, 8 to 14 inches wide. Never a problem. And I have always been amazed that it never requires adjustment to keep the drum parallel bed.

So you've got a dilemma; do you buy the Jet which is basically the original 16-32, or the Performax from the company who invented the original 16-32? Can't help you there. I can only endorse the general design as a workhorse that I wouldn't be without.

One thing, I would never consider this machine without the infeed and outfeed tables, it would be miserable to use. That said, when you install the tables this machine it grows considerably. So keep this in mind since your space is limited.

Oh, and a dust collector isn't optional. A shop vac will fill rapidly... too rapidly.

Best of luck,

Scott in Montana

Just as an "extra" note. I did not purchase the extensions, and am happy without them. I didn't want the extra footprint and find I don't need them for the vast majority of the work. The occasions I need extra support, I just set a pair of roller stands and it works great.