Thread: Bench illumination?

Bench illumination?

I work primarily by hand, but use electrons to illuminate my bench in my basement shop. My advancing age has regrettably resulted in diminished visual acuity. I find elevated light levels and corrective lenses generally make up for my gradual fossilization. I’m curious what others use for lighting schemes around their benches. I use a couple twin bulb shop lights but find I need a little more. Anyone use enhanced magnification via glasses or other supplemental means? How about a movable spot lighting source like a ceiling mounted gooseneck lamp? I’m interested in what those similarly afflicted have used for solutions.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I use two of these with 100-watt equivalent LED bulbs. I never used the clamp, I drilled 4 appropriately sized holes in the bench top and just drop the lamp in where I need it. I love the light the LED’s provide without the heat of an incandescent bulb.

https://www.amazon.com/Globe-Electri...ateway&sr=8-23
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I used to use the desk lamp Bruce posted but I have switched over to the Alvin Swing Arm Combination lamp after my last task lamp just fell apart. The Alvin is so much nicer and manuvuers lovely to where ever you need it. I picked up the Lee Valley dog hole bushing that is designed to fit in a dog hole and the lamp just slides into the bushing. I'm 37 years old and I couldn't work without it. I work mostly with hand tools as well so I do a lot of bench work.

https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-CL1755-...ll-spons&psc=1

Two double fluorescent fixtures ought to be enough. If that is not enough, dry to find an old Dazor light. These were made in the 50s-70s and often installed with a very bright round fluorescent bulb and a 3-5x magnifying glass with an articulating arm, bolted to your bench. Some LED replacements for the old double fluorescent fixtures have less lumens.

I like the fluorescent bulbs since they tend to cast a broader pattern with fewer shadows than incandescent bulbs. (I only have one strip of LED type and for benchwork prefer the flourescent).

Then a 'magnifying work light' that mounts on the workbench on an arm. This is hugely valuable for smaller stuff, as my eyes age. It has a circular bulb around a large magnifying glass.

Have always wondered about those magnifying goggles that mount on a headpiece.... may be a day I try those out. Surgeons use them.

At work we have a binocular type microscope (with built in light) that can be useful, but I find myself using the small USB computer microscopes more and more. They are cheap and display on the screen. Or even some web cams have a macro mode that can zoom in pretty nicely.

For under cabinet, in closets, etc I love the Hyperikon led strips they sell on amazon. They are T5 size but have a flat back on them and can be chained together. I think I have 10 in use around the house now. The only problem is it looks like amazon only sells them in a 4 pack now. If you don’t mind spending up front for 4 of them, you will like them and find other places to use them. https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Int...gateway&sr=8-3

I tried the lighted magnifying swing arm thing from Rockler, but found it needed to be constantly adjusted/moved to get good focus on detail work. Just a bit inconvenient looking through something, versus wearing something. I now use the Optiviser from Brownells with a couple different lenses. I can wear it over my glasses and it works well for me when working on fine detail stuff. I have a swing arm type LED as well to concentrate light where needed.

I count over a dozen different types of task lamps in my shop to supplement the (excellent) light from overhead T5 high-bay fixtures. I have three lights at the bandsaw, drill press, mill, milling machine, sharping station, and more at the biggest lathe - I move lights to the workbench as needed for close work, carving, etc. I like to have smaller light sources close on adjustable arms which besides the brightness for the old eyes, make it a lot easier to see scratches and other defects in the work.

lathe_PM_IMG_20160331_18501.jpg

I use several of the type that Bruce showed and others. I have six of my favorite (but not exactly cheap) with long goosenecks and a color temperature that's spot on, the Super Nova on this page: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps. I looked at his newest, the Quasar, but the color temperature of the light was unsuitable (for me).

The color temperature of the SN actually matches my photo lamps so I use one when photographing turnings.

photo_cube_small_IMG_5181.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I work primarily by hand, but use electrons to illuminate my bench in my basement shop. My advancing age has regrettably resulted in diminished visual acuity. I find elevated light levels and corrective lenses generally make up for my gradual fossilization. I’m curious what others use for lighting schemes around their benches. I use a couple twin bulb shop lights but find I need a little more. Anyone use enhanced magnification via glasses or other supplemental means? How about a movable spot lighting source like a ceiling mounted gooseneck lamp? I’m interested in what those similarly afflicted have used for solutions.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-15-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I tried the lighted magnifying swing arm thing from Rockler, but found it needed to be constantly adjusted/moved to get good focus on detail work. Just a bit inconvenient looking through something, versus wearing something. I now use the Optiviser from Brownells with a couple different lenses. I can wear it over my glasses and it works well for me when working on fine detail stuff. I have a swing arm type LED as well to concentrate light where needed.
    I've thought about an Optivisor. What strength do you have?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have 2 swing arm lamps on my bench. The only modification I made was to mount the higher - makes them a bit more useful for me. The one on the left in the pic has a 3/4" dowel drilled into the bottom so I can just move it to whatever dog hole works the best for the work at hand.
    20190515_181743.jpg

Rob, I have the #5 lens (2.5x - 8” focal length).