Thread: Boiled Linseed Oil

Boiled Linseed Oil

Correct me if I'm wrong, but BLO shouldn't be thick like syrup should it?

How long will it last?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Yes it is thick like syrup. It is usually so thick that the only way to apply it is to heat or thin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Yes it is thick like syrup. It is usually so thick that the only way to apply it is to heat or thin it.
    Can it get old and go bad?

I have some that's probably over 5 years old and don't want to use it and screw up my project.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry, like any finish that "cures", yes it can potentially go bad with the passing of time. BLO is inexpensive, so buy a new small container if you want to be sure that your results are what you expect. You don't need a large amount because it should be applied thinly, allowed to penetrate and then rubbed off. Many folks will slightly heat it in a water bath, especially during colder months of the year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Boiled linseed oil will spontaneously combust in rags. Be very very careful using it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Boiled linseed oil will spontaneously combust in rags. Be very very careful using it
    Yep, got that part covered. I just thinned what I had on hand and wiped it on. Looks like it'll work OK.

put some on a glass plate or something non-porous and see how long it takes to harden. That will tell you if its still good.

It doesn't go 'bad', but it does polymerize and get gummy. The threads of your can will reveal this. If it pours, it's still usable. Don't try redisolving any solids; once it hardens, that gum is not reversible or usable.

Strain to get out the threads, thin (mineral spirits) and wipe it on/off. Try a test piece of same wood first to be sure (always test, better to waste a little wood than the piece you worked hard on!)