Thread: Delta table saw starting issues

Delta table saw starting issues

I have a Delta 36-5152 and last year it gave me some issues when starting. Flip the switch and the blade might move a little, but not get up to speed. You could hear it trying. If you continue to let it try to start it will pop the breaker. I found a thread where someone else had this issue and they claimed they cleaned the sawdust out from the vitals and it worked again. I did the same and it worked for me. Coincidental? I'm guessing so. I had the same issues a few months back, but when I tried the next day it was working again. Now I'm having the same issues but it hasn't resolved itself. Is it the motor starting capacitor? I found them online at Amazon, but they are listed as 270-324 mfd and 110-125 VAC, the one in the table saw is 324 mfd and 125 VAC. Are these the same or compatible?

IMG_1840.JPGIMG_1842.JPGIMG_1844.JPG

Thanks for any assistance,

Dennis

Same mfd is fine but that voltage is too low. it needs to be about 180 volts for 120 volt rms service. It is either the capacitor or the starting. switch has dust in it. The dust is either physically jamming it so it can not close or it has fouled the contacts so it does not close the switch contacts and electricity can not flow through the dirty contact faces.

Bill,

Thanks for the response. Would the starter switch be the beige piece in the lower left of the first picture? If it was jammed or had fouled contacts would you hear the motor trying to start and ultimately pop the breaker? I'll try cleaning it as best I can regardless.

Dennis

Blog Entries
    If the on/off switch is clogged with sawdust, you would not hear any sound from the motor as there would be no voltage going to the motor. It appears your saw has a start and a run capacitor. Most motor shops can test them for you and will likely have a replacement on hand. There is a centrifugal switch on the motor that engages when the saw is stopped to put the stat capacitor in the circuit. When the saw reaches a certain speed, the centrifugal switch opens removing the start capacitor from the circuit. If the centrifugal switch contacts are dirty or clogged with saw dust the motor may try to start or it may just sit there an hum.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Any my idea where the centrifugal switch is located? Can I get to it or is it buried in the motor?

Dennis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Tebo View Post
    Lee,

Any my idea where the centrifugal switch is located? Can I get to it or is it buried in the motor?

Dennis
    Follow the blue wires from the large capacitor. One of them will go to the centrifugal switch.

That motor looks pretty clean your problem may not be the switch. I am not familiar with your saw.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-11-2019 at 9:53 PM.

Ok, thanks. Motor starting capacitor then?

Dennis

Blog Entries
    Ok, thanks. Motor starting capacitor then?

Dennis
    First, short the capacitor across the terminals, then remove it. Do a google search for "electric motor shops orange ca" and select one of the motor repair shops in your area. Give them a call and see if they will test your capacitor. Be sure to explain that your motor is in a table saw so it is not portable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dennis, the centrifugal switch is located in the motor. I would suggest that you do as Lee suggested, remove the starting capacitor and have it checked first.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Given the cost of gasoline it is probably cheaper to buy a new cap from the bay then to drive somewhere to have it tested.
    Bill D

I'm guessing this is the switch. It has a button that rests up against a thin plate, which I assume will move back when the saw gets up to speed allowing the button to release.

IMG_1847.jpg

Pushing on the button gives a clean and precise click, appears normal to me.

IMG_1845.JPG

At this point I think I'm ready to order a capacitor since they are pretty inexpensive.

Thanks.

Dennis

Blog Entries
    If you have a multi-meter you can check the switch for continuity. Just pull off the blue wires and check the switch.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

...I found them online at Amazon, but they are listed as 270-324 mfd and 110-125 VAC, the one in the table saw is 324 mfd and 125 VAC. Are these the same or compatible?
    That capacitor is fine, it's rated for 125VAC which is what you have now.

The capacitor came in yesterday evening and I popped it in and all is good now. Thanks for the assistance. I also learned a few things about saw motors along the way.

Dennis

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you got it fixed, thanks for the update.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!