Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movable Grinder Stand

I went with the built cabinet approach, added locking casters and a compartment on top to raise the grinder to elbo height for comfort and use the space (with filtered venting) for my vacuum pump. Stores most things I need at the lathe, but rolls out the way when not turning. Ignore the bungie cord - I'll get around to finding those hinges one of these days...
    The tool rack comes in handy and holds an old desk lamp to boot.
    Grinder Stand.jpggrinder stand 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Our club simply has the grinder mounted to a piece of 3/4" plywood that gets clamped to a convenient table at location, or directly to the lathe toolbed. It probably weighs 20 - 25 lbs and is easy to carry.

Thank you very much for all the responses! I think we may use a sturdy tool cart with locking casters. It seems to provide both the storage and mobility we need. When we get everything assembled, I will post a picture (at least try to post a picture). Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    Thank you very much for all the responses! I think we may use a sturdy tool cart with locking casters. It seems to provide both the storage and mobility we need. When we get everything assembled, I will post a picture (at least try to post a picture). Thanks again.
    If you are will be building a cart you can easily control the height. You can google height of grinder for sharpening lathe tools for guidelines and reasoning.

I have my Tormek clone on a shelf on the side of my cart. That way I can open the top cover and since the shelf is screwed in place I could set it at any height I want. It's an inexpensive Harbor Freight one but works great for me. I can take a picture if you would like.

We are tentatively planning to build the stand so the center of the grinding wheel is the same height as the lathe spindle. That was recommended to us by Eric Lofstrom who demonstrated for us several years ago. If that is too high for some people (same problem with the lathe), we can build a platform for them to stand on.

Steve, I would opt for Perry's solution with the two large wheels barely off the ground. Bob Black has a couple of tools in his shop that uses this approach except his wheels were wooden of about the same diameter. This would be easy to tilt and move by one person and very steady.
    Last edited by Mike Peace; 05-17-2019 at 8:33 PM. Reason: clarity
    God is great and life is good!

Here's what I use. When not in use I roll it into the corner out of the way as my basement doesn't have a lot of room. I set the side table a little lower than I think I would of with a slow speed grinder. With the Tormek style grinder you tend to sharpen higher up on the wheel. However it's easy to adjust. The leg for the side stand just fit into a slot and the weight on the shelf kept it from coming out. I didn't care for that so I put a couple tack welds so it can no longer fold down. The last thing I wanted was the shelf to drop and have my grinder fall. Being a Harbor Freight tool box I don't think they put much thought into it when they copied the design.

grinder.jpg