Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will sag be an issue?

Blog Entries
    That angle iron would do a lot if you install it 'upside down', that is with the vertical web downward. 1.5" x 1/8" of metal over 5 ft is a hell of thing to bend in the vertical position.

(I do metal working as well as woodworking. Real world experience tells me this isn't a bad solution. Would still have a beefy bottom (3/4" ply))

Maybe do 4 pieces.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 05-29-2019 at 1:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    That angle iron would do a lot if you install it 'upside down', that is with the vertical web downward. 1.5" x 1/8" of metal over 5 ft is a hell of thing to bend in the vertical position.

(I do metal working as well as woodworking. Real world experience tells me this isn't a bad solution. Would still have a beefy bottom (3/4" ply))

Maybe do 4 pieces.
    I did it that way, but 2 pieces. Thinking of putting roller ball on 4x4 wood piece at bottom front. That should prevent any sag, but I’ll have to screw it in from top (not a big deal). Also, shouldn’t prevent easy movement like an extra caster wood.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    ...1.5" x 1/8" of metal over 5 ft is a hell of thing to bend in the vertical position...
    Actually it isn't, because the extreme fibers are only 1/8" wide.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I made a few videos:

#1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-7...5UYGNLp3TKBeh- (angle iron is 1" x 1/8")

#2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-8..._TfJAtliWlPAbR

Hope they work, I made the link share-able.

Question, do they not sell 4x8 sheets of one inch thick Fir plywood in the States ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Question, do they not sell 4x8 sheets of one inch thick Fir plywood in the States ?
    I’ve never seen any. FWIW. The 3/4” Baltic Birch plywood sheets were heavy enough. Can’t imagine what 1” sheets would weigh.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Seriously thinking of adding a 4x4 small post with one of these wheels mounted to the bottom in the front center of the cabinet. This has got to eliminate sagging, even without one of these in the back. Right?

F243DE5D-1817-488A-994B-47524E038A65.jpg

I built a counter top spanning over the top of washer and dryer. Span is 5' 2" and it is supported on both sides and back. I used 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" angle iron to span the front that is bolted to the front edge of 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF glued together. The front face of the angle iron has a piece of wood attached with screws. I used laminate on top and front face of the approximately 2" finished thickness of the counter. It deflects when I put my 190 lbs on the front edge. Not much but more than I would want on a cabinet.

I also built two 5' cabinets and bolted them together. They are permanently mounted and sitting on a ledger along the back and screwed to the wall studs. I supported the front with adjustable legs at the corners of each cabinet and in the center front of each cabinet. My cabinets did deflect in the center and I used the adjustable legs to keep everything level. If you use adjustable legs like I did for the center, be careful to screw them up so they do not hit anything while moving and make sure cabinet is locked in place before extending them. They are not made for lateral force.

I attached picture of each.

If the cabinet is only occasionally moved then the center supports could be a little short and then shimmed to level after moving. Could also use castors and then shim as necessary after moving.

laundry.jpgshop cabinet.jpg

Blog Entries
    Or you could make a tee by bolting two angles together and install it as a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I’ve never seen any. FWIW. The 3/4” Baltic Birch plywood sheets were heavy enough. Can’t imagine what 1” sheets would weigh.
    I have a 4x8 sheet of 1" MDF leftover from years ago when I built a subwoofer box for my old vehicle. I had to move it recently while organizing my garage and had forgotten how heavy that thing is. I can barely lift it off the ground. I think I ended up sliding it on the floor (smooth concrete, fortunately) and then standing it up into place.

I need to think of a project to use it, but then I'd have to move it again.....