Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First Table Saw- Delta 36-725 vs SawStop

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L. Miller View Post
    Jacob,
    I went from a Craftsman contractor saw to a Sawstop ICS. It was a wonderful leap. The next tool(s) I upgraded were my 6" jointer and lunchtop planer with a Hammer A31. After working with it, I began to think the maybe the Europeans were onto something. I'm not going to do anything about my Sawstop, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd certainly pay attention to what Rod Sheridan is suggesting. I've had the opportunity to work with a slider and they are really nice. The quality of the European equipment (Austrian, in the case of Hammer) is really unbeatable. I don't regret my Sawstop one bit, but knowing what I know now I'd be sorely tempted to go European.
    Tom
    The European stuff is in another whole league. Agree with your sentiments.

2. If he spends all of his money on a high dollar saw when just starting out then it's tough to also buy the rest of the stuff you need- jointer, planer, routers, sanders, etc unless you have an unlimited budget. A table saw by itself isn't real useful.
    Learn to use a table saw correctly like millions have did over the past 100 years and you don't need a Saw stop. Use that extra money to buy some other tools. Once you decide that you really like the hobby you can always buy a high dollar cabinet saw.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...n-perspective/

Blog Entries
    After cutting my self ripping a board, I made a push stick.
    Take a 4" x 12"x 3/4" plywood and cut a 11"x 1/2" piece out of it.
    This leaves hook to use when pushing boards through the saw.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...ty-pty_weather

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hofmann View Post
    Learn to use a table saw correctly like millions have did over the past 100 years and you don't need a Saw stop. Use that extra money to buy some other tools. Once you decide that you really like the hobby you can always buy a high dollar cabinet saw.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...n-perspective/
    I forgot the exact statistics but it was something like 32,000 of those millions - per year - suffer table saw injuries.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I forgot the exact statistics but it was something like 32,000 of those millions - per year - suffer table saw injuries.

Mike
    The data on injuries is in the link that I posted for the OP

If you're unsure about this hobby, then go used.

I started 40 years ago with a Sears table saw. I was hooked on the hobby and wore that rascal out in about 10 years, and got Delta table saw, which served me well for another 20 years. I then graduated to a Delta Cabinet Unisaw, which is a solid brand. I use that saw almost daily.

I've not used a saw stop, but they've been around for a while now, and seem to be part of the landscape. They have a great cast iron extension fence with a router table and lift built in for another $1,200.

But to repeat myself, if I was unsure about the hobby, I would hit Craigslist and get a nice 20-30 year old cabinet saw, which you could score for under $1,000. Jet, Powermatic, Delta, Grizzly. Add an outfeed table, aftermarket fence, and some extensions, and you'll have a great cabinet saw.