Thread: Relief carving texture

Relief carving texture

I am working on a relief carving that contains 3 types of foliage - clumps of small ground level plants, larger bushes 6-8 feet tall, and trees. I am struggling a bit with creating varying textures.

Any suggestions on techniques I can use to apply different textures to the 3 types?
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

It sort of depends on the size to some extent. Naturally the larger the piece the more detail will define the different plants. On a small carving you’ll be limited.
    If the piece will be painted (and depending on size) burning could be an option.
    But on trees I’ve used what are essentially cloud like carving to represent clumps of leaves layered in between branches . Similar for shrubs. Shorter ground cover V tools make a variety of short strokes (grasses) and longer deeper ones for reed/stalk flowers.

Sort of how you ID trees from a distance. It’s not the individual leaves that tell you what the tree is but the shape, forms and arrangement of branches and clumps of leaves that tell you Maple vs oak.
    That’s what gets carved. Form. Not detail

Thanks for the thoughts Mark.