Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Max bandsaw tires?

Blue Max bandsaw tires?

I have a new Grizzly G0514X2 bandsaw and it has some vibrations when running at the higher speed. After playing with it some I decided to remove the bandsaw tires and run the blade that came with it. I didn't adjust the guides and didn't cut anything with it. The result (I can post the videos later) is that I can balance a nickle on it's edge without the urethane tires on the wheels (probably could balance a dime) with the tires on there's no way. The vibrations are far too bad to even come close.

I'll call up Grizzly and get some spare tires but I was wondering about Blue Max or Sulphur Grove Tool brand. Both say they are made in the USA. I did a search but I didn't see anyone who has been using them for some time. When you buy Grizzly you know you are buying Chinese or Taiwanese made parts. Not that it's a bad thing but for $50ish if I can replace them with a product that will be superior why not?

Blue Max are fantastic. Nice & thick, and they repel debris MUCH better than those black things Grizzly uses.

Buy them on Ebay, from the guy in NJ that makes them. That's the best price, plus he can do custom sizing if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Blue Max are fantastic. Nice & thick, and they repel debris MUCH better than those black things Grizzly uses.

Buy them on Ebay, from the guy in NJ that makes them. That's the best price, plus he can do custom sizing if you need.
    I agree. I have Blue Max on my 10" and 14" bandsaws and they work great. I've also had good luck with rubber tires from Woodworkers Tool Works.

I bought the Sulphur Grove ones for my old 14" Delta, for no better reason than they were the first ones that came up in a search. They work fine, and no vibration issues.

5. Thanks for the heads-up on the Blue Max tires. Just ordered a set for my Grizzly 513X2BF. Not having any trouble with the originals, but since the Blue Max come with a lifetime warranty it won't hurt to have a spare set. May take off the originals and keep them as spares.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

I just bought a set of blue max and am very pleased. Fairly easy to put on with tool that came with them. My blade stays in place much better than it did with oem tires.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Another positive review for Blue Max. I bought a set of 3 from the above mentioned guy on eBay for a BVI Tote Saw that I inherited and completely refurbished. Blue Max was the only tire in that size that I found. Worked great and very easy to put on with the accompanying tool. The tires cost more than the saw is worth, but I gave it to my godson for Christmas and he uses it all the time for building miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    ...After playing with it some I decided to remove the bandsaw tires and run the blade that came with it. I didn't adjust the guides and didn't cut anything with it. The result (I can post the videos later) is that I can balance a nickle on it's edge without the urethane tires on the wheels (probably could balance a dime) with the tires on there's no way...
    Interesting. So you ran a blade you did not care about directly on the metal wheels? That’s thinking outside the box!

I have a question. I believe your bandsaw uses a crowned tire. Are the wheels flat, or do they have a crown built into them that a flat tire conforms to? Some tires have a crown molded into them, so when installed on a flat wheel they are ready to go. If your wheels are flat and the tires you order are flat, you will need to crown the tires after installation on the wheels.

I believe this is the first time I have heard mention of running a bandsaw blade metal on metal for the purpose of determining if an out of balance issue is being caused by the tires. Most of the time it seems that the approach is to attempt to improve the balance of the tire-wheel combination. Hopefully balancing and/or crowning will not be needed after you install the new tires.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

When I got the saw I didn't check the wheels to make sure they were coplaner as I just wanted to put it through it's paces to make sure everything worked. I had some free time so I thought I would take a closer look. I still haven't checked the wheels because there's a thick piece of sheet metal in the way so you can't use a straight edge. I'll have to get some blocks to use with the straight edge. But I removed the tires so I could put a dial gauge on the crown of the wheel. The bottom one was under .002"and the top one was .001". The tires seamed balances well.

I read about some people having issues with vibrations and on the higher speed setting it wasn't as smooth as I was hoping for. So I figured I would go through the steps to see if I could pinpoint possible problems causing vibration. I started off with just the motor and pulley. Then just driving the lower wheel. Then the lower wheel with a link belt, no difference in vibration but the rubber belt did seam like it was vibrating. Once the blade was on that when the vibration showed up. Both wheels seamed to be balanced very wheel.

I figured the blade that came with the saw is probably only useful for setting up the saw and wouldn't stay sharp very long. With the crown wheels the teeth of the blade didn't touch the steel with the tire removed.

This isn't my video (they seam to be uploading very slowly) but it's about how mine vibrates with the stock 3/4" 6 tpi blade at the faster setting.

Here's the same blade and same speed without the urethane tires. I didn't get the saw starting up but this is running then slowing down after I turned it off.

I’m intrigued by the thought of running a blade on the saw with no tires as well! I posted the other day about some trouble shooting I’ve been doing with my new bandsaw and I never would have thought about running the saw without the tires. I take it the saw maybe left some marks in the wheel from the teeth set but nothing to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Interesting. So you ran a blade you did not care about directly on the metal wheels? That’s thinking outside the box!

I have a question. I believe your bandsaw uses a crowned tire. Are the wheels flat, or do they have a crown built into them that a flat tire conforms to? Some tires have a crown molded into them, so when installed on a flat wheel they are ready to go. If your wheels are flat and the tires you order are flat, you will need to crown the tires after installation on the wheels.

I believe this is the first time I have heard mention of running a bandsaw blade metal on metal for the purpose of determining if an out of balance issue is being caused by the tires. Most of the time it seems that the approach is to attempt to improve the balance of the tire-wheel combination. Hopefully balancing and/or crowning will not be needed after you install the new tires.

Bill
    The wheels are crowned and the orange urethane tires are flat. They look to be about 1/8" thick but I didn't measure it. I wouldn't attempt to cut wood with the tires removed but because the wheels are crowned the teeth didn't ride on the steel. I only ran it twice, once to see what would happen then a second time to take a video, for about 30 seconds.

I have the Sulpher Grove tires on my Jet, but will keep blue max in mind next go round

Just a heads up for anyone with a Delta 20". The Blue max are not anywhere as thick as the originals and your blades will not tension up properly. Bottom out the adjuster and they are still not tight enough by far. They should not even be sold for that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone with a Delta 20". The Blue max are not anywhere as thick as the originals and your blades will not tension up properly. Bottom out the adjuster and they are still not tight enough by far. They should not even be sold for that saw.
    You should tell this to the guy at Bandsaw tire Warehouse. He cares about his product, and can make custom sizes. Probably needs to update his database.