Thread: Battery interchanges

Battery interchanges

I wonder why someone like Harbor Freight does not make battery powered drills etc. that will accept Milwaukee or DeWalt batteries.

Of course I know that major companies make a lot of money selling batteries, but I suspect HF doesn't sell that many, considering price of the tools.

There are probably copyright and patent reasons no one makes tools to fit major companies batteries, but it seem they would be really easy to get around. A tab to break here, extra contacts to cover more than one brand, etc.

What got me started thinking was when I looked at a cheap 4" battery powered saw at a hardware store. The battery looked a lot like an M-12 Milwaukee, but wasn't. It was just what I needed for what I was doing at the time, but no way I would buy it, because I knew I would never find another battery for it.

EDIT: Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps the question should be..Does anyone make tools that take multiple brand batteries?
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-10-2019 at 2:28 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick,
    I buy 18v batteries on Amazon and Ebay that are made by another company (not Milwaukee) that fit my Milwaukee 18v cordless drills, saws, etc. They cost about half as much as the OEM Milwaukee batteries. So I would consider these Milwaukee tools as tools that take multiple brand batteries. In fact - there are actually multiple companies that sell their own brands of batteries to fit the Milwaukee 18v. I have had problems with some of them, but did find one particular brand that works well.
    David

20190510_010537.jpg 20190510_010659.jpg 20190510_010712.jpg

I still have a lot of Makita 9.6v stuff. I buy no name batteries from the bay. I believe Makita no longer sells the batteries anyway.

I regularly purchase"non-OEM" batteries for tools. Paslode, DeWalt etc get w-a-a-a-y too much for replacement batteries.

I won't buy non-OEM batteries. Sure, you're paying some markup for the "brand name", but it's a fraction of the total cost. If the knockoff is significantly cheaper, there must be some compromise in the quality/quantity of cells, integral electronics, reliability, longevity, safety, etc. With modern Li-Ion tool batteries that will likely outlive the tool, the cost savings over the tool lifetime seem pretty small (especially when compared to a battery catching fire on a charger or some other catastrophic outcome that is obviously more likely with a knockoff battery).

Regarding why HF (etc) doesn't make batteries compatible with others - there are probably issues with product safety testing that precludes specifying a battery from another manufacturer.

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I want the tool, not the battery. Let me try an example.

I have seen cordless tools labeled Kawasaki at Costco. They are cheap, but I don't care, as I would like to keep them at our vacation cabin, or in my truck. I do not want to leave my Milwaukee 12V or my Makita 18V tools there, where they might be stolen. I have a bunch of those batteries already.

I would buy the cheap tool at Costco, if my batteries fit. I would not be concerned with the original Kawasaki battery dying from lack of use, or having to find somewhere to get one if it does. I would simply take a couple batteries with me.

I know this is a bit Pollyanna, but I can wish, can't I?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

A potential snag I can see is with something like Makita now uses.

Their Li-Ion batteries and cordless tools communicate with each other via chips in the battery and tool.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rick, I think I found your solution: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SLPC6D..._t1_B01N55FJJ9

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Rick, I think I found your solution: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SLPC6D..._t1_B01N55FJJ9
    Great hint, Dan. Thanks.

Great find Dan.

Unfortunately, my 18V tools are Makita, and I have about 10 batteries. 12V are Milwaukee. I guess I should have bought DeWalt, but no way will I change now.

Your find leaves me with hope though. I need an adaptor for my 18V Makita to fit Ryobi. I forgot all about an 18V Ryobi Miter Saw I got 10 years ago for $39, but I never had an adaptor for it. I picked up a bad Ryobi battery case to make an adaptor, but never got to it. Maybe it is coming soon.

PS: My electrician friend was showing me how he just breaks off a tab and runs the new fancy Makita 18V 5AH batteries in his older tools. Doesn't care if the electronics do anything, and he says it worked fine for commercial use for a while now. Yesterday, he used a 4" hole saw to drill through two walls with sheathing and siding, using the old drill/new battery. He bought his large combo set about 7 years ago, like I did. It has performed well.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-12-2019 at 1:35 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, is this what you're looking for?
    'https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptor-for-Makita-18v-Cordless-Battery-to-Ryobi-ONE-18v-Tools-US-Free-Ship/183609728728?hash=item2abffe1ed8:g:gTUAAOSwAopcJxY K
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-12-2019 at 9:55 PM. Reason: removed direct link

Bingo!

You found the pink unicorn. Thanks, Dan.

Now I can use that battery powered Ryobi chop saw I bought. This also solves another wish for me. Ryobi makes a glue gun, and Makita doesn't.

Gonna order it. Never had anything 3D printed before.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.