Thread: Japanese style lamp

Japanese style lamp

I built this andon following a design and tutorial by Chris Hall at his forum craftsmanshipinwood.org. If you aren't familiar with his work and like Japanese and Chinese joinery, check him out also at thecarpentryway.blog.

I did this project to improve my ability to do more precise joinery and boy was this a great workout for that. There are 101 wooden parts, 56 tiny bridle joints for the kumiko, 17 double mitered lap joints, and 4 mitered/through tenoned joints with sliding dovetailed keys. Took me about 150 hours, I'd guess, including making the jigs, making and remaking parts, fixing mistakes, and head scratching.

The frame is cherry finished with Waterlox satin, the internal electrical pedestal is red oak, the paper is glued to removable panels of unfinished butternut. Some of the tenoned joints are hide glued, others are simply wedged with either purpleheart, oak or ebony. The paper is Japanese kozo, made from mulberry, glued to the frames with rice paste for easy repair if necessary. The lamp is about 31 inches tall and 12 inches square. It is fitted with a 350 lumen LED candelabra lamp. So far the cat has not attacked it.

IMG_1801.jpgIMG_1799.jpgIMG_1810.jpgIMG_1813.jpgIMG_1815.jpgIMG_1800.jpg

Awesome craftsmanship!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agreed! I have a woodworking friend who built something similar, though desk top size; he's going to love it.

John

That’s amazing, Gary, very nice.