Thread: Y lever adjuster lever

Y lever adjuster lever

So I finally got around to upgrading the chipbreaker and blade on a #7 Stanley. I’ve had the plane for a year or so. So I order a wood river blade and hock chipbreaker same combo I have on all my other planes. So I sharpened the blade checked the fit between chip and back of the blade normal stuff. So when I installed assembly it would sit all the way flat to the frog. ( already flattened the frog) So I determined the y depth adjuster was to thick to pass thru the hole in the chipbreaker. So I took a fine needle file with safe edge a filed the tab down a lil bit til it fit in the hole. It sits flat on the frog now. Now with it all together I start advancing the blade and I run out of threads before the iron comes out the mouth. I get to fettleing an realize when I lower the blade the adjuster slips past the hole in the chipbreaker. I know the IBC replacement sets have a small tab on bottom of chipbreaker to combat the blade bring so much thicker. So I guess my question is since I’ve never had this problem before with any my others (5 or so). How do I fix it attach a small piece of metal to the underside of my chipbreaker or maybe to the top of the y adjuster an file to fit again?

Blog Entries
    When this came up in the past, people attached a small piece of metal to the chip breaker.

Do you know anyone who can do a clean job of brazing or silver soldering?

You may also look to make sure the pin holding the yoke (Y adjuster) isn't bent and lowering the height.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-10-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is what I was thinking to. Do you think epoxy would hold it? I don’t have anything to solder with

Brazing is overkill. Take some mild steel which you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot and cut a small tab to fit. File it just a little oversize so you have to press it in. JB weld is the epoxy of choice for this. Between the mechanical and epoxy bond, it should hold just fine. Plus you can knock it out if you need to later with a punch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Brazing is overkill. Take some mild steel which you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot and cut a small tab to fit. File it just a little oversize so you have to press it in. JB weld is the epoxy of choice for this. Between the mechanical and epoxy bond, it should hold just fine. Plus you can knock it out if you need to later with a punch.
    This seems the simpler approach, remember KISS, Keep It Simple ------.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim and Pete.