Thread: Delta 31-300 Belt/Disc Sander Seized?

Delta 31-300 Belt/Disc Sander Seized?

My Delta 31-300 belt/disc sander just quit working and it looks like the shaft has seized tight. The motor is OK. I've been using it a lot lately to build a 2x72 belt sander and I'm afraid the metal grinding had something to do with it. I don't know whether to tear into the machine and try fixing it or purchase a replacement. The 2x72 belt sander was to be dedicated for metal work only and the Delta for woodworking. If a replacement is purchased it would be for woodworking only. Any suggestions?

BTW This is the 2x72 belt sander I'm building. It's almost finished.

Probably just a bearing or two has seized up, once you get the old one out you can get a new one online or locally.
    Zach

Show us the sander. is that the $500 sander. if so repair it. Is the belt broken? The only tricks are the nut that holds the drum together may be left hand thread and you will need to buy or make a hook spanner to remove one of the bearings, if it is the sander I am thinking of.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Show us the sander. is that the $500 sander. if so repair it. Is the belt broken? The only tricks are the nut that holds the drum together may be left hand thread and you will need to buy or make a hook spanner to remove one of the bearings, if it is the sander I am thinking of.
    Bill D
    It's the one shown here ..
    delta sander.jpg

The belt is not broken but the main shaft is definitely seized. Looks like it's worthwhile fixing it.

fix it, probably just a bearing bad. would replace all bearings while apart

Finally fixed my sander. I'm not sure it was a bearing failure but they were replaced anyway with SKFs. While disassembling I noticed the drive pulley was mounted backwards with the hub (end with setscrew) mounted toward the trunnion, which it was rubbing against. My guess it eventually hit the hardened setscrew and stopped in its tracks. Regardless it's back together and running great, better than before. Anyone in the same situation would be advised to have a good selection of C-ring pliers or whatever they're called.

While the machine is back together and somewhat fixed I have to say I'm disappointed with Delta's manufacture of it. Besides the pulley being installed backwards leading to the probable cause of the shaft seizing I also noticed that the seats for the bearings were not machined, just the rough castings. The consequence of it not being a machined press fit is the entire bearing is capable of turning. And the only thing keeping the bearings from moving along the shaft are c-rings. Why even bother using roller bearings?