Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to connect two 1/4" copper tubings

Use a Sharkbite or similar and be done with it. Just make sure your tubing is cut square and round (ha!).

The ProPress fitting Ole mentioned is cool, but the tool and jaws set runs $1500, and the fittings are generally only available at plumbing supply houses (and online)--might be iffy on evening/weekend hours. I use them at work so that we don't have to use flame, and the lines don't have to be dry.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

2. I used the plastic line with the "saddle valve". I did it at my old house and it was fine for ten years, at which point I moved. I did it again at this house and it has been fine for three years. However, it is in an unfinished basement. I don't know if I would be comfortable using that arrangement if it were above living space.

Same with the sharkbites. I used them to replace my water heater because it was in an unfinished basement and I have easy access to inspect it regularly.

3. Should add that when i moved to USA and was told that there was a little machine inside the refrigerator that made ice I thought it was a joke. Now I cannot imagine being without one.

I'm late to the thread but my 2 pennies:
    The braided line is really a plastic line with a steel sleeve over it. They have been known to fail. Not likely but possible. Most expensive solution to a simple problem. Second only to Sharkbite in that regard.

Compression fittings are generally reliable. But, temp changes can loosen them, not everyone has the 'feel' necessary to get them tight enough but not too tight. A good friend of mine had 2000sqft of carpet ruined by thousands of gallons of water. came from a 3/8 compression union that had been in place for 15 years or more with no issues.

Flare fittings are harder to do, but much more forgiving of tightening torque. Never have heard of an in use failure.

If one has the skill to do a sweat coupling, they are almost as good as a solid pipe/tubing.

New copper is belt and suspenders safe, except the connections at both ends, just like all the other options

My vote: Sweat fitting, 90 or straight, your choice. . Cheap, reasonably fast (takes longer to gather tools than do it), reliable
    Last edited by Ken Combs; 05-14-2019 at 11:51 AM.