Thread: Help fixing a Ikea door

Help fixing a Ikea door

We have a few kitchens in our office and one of them is Ikea. Here is what one of the doors looks like:

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 2.25.47 PM.jpg

The hinges are friction fit and the cup holes are blown out. The model has been discontinued by Ikea so there's no way to get a new door. Y'all think epoxy would hold that hinge in place?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-09-2019 at 3:53 PM.

If it's a flat slab door I would simply make new doors.

If not you may be able to glue dowels in the screw holes and re-install the hinge.

Epoxy would be my last resort...............Rod.

Wow...someone really "handled" that door! I kinda agree with Rod...it may be more productive to build a new door out of similar material than to try and repair that mess.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's white glossy laminate on top of MDF. The two sides of the door have a roundover. Not sure I could recreate that or even want to deal with it. This is for work and not something I really want to fuss with. There's no screws for the hinges so there's no holes to fill with dowels. The hinges have a lever that you flip and it pushes against the sides of the cup which holes it in.

In that case, I think I would fill with epoxy, then re-bore the holes.

Richard

I can’t see the pic, but based on the description I would drill a new cup hole and mount the hinge in a different spot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I can’t see the pic, but based on the description I would drill a new cup hole and mount the hinge in a different spot.
    This. And then fill the old holes with Bondo.

I would cut a rabbet along that edge of the door to remove all the damage, then glue in a piece of hardwood, Melamine, whatever you want. Drill new cup holes and remount the hinges. Finish or not, your choice, it's the inside of the door so it won't be seen when closed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    We have a few kitchens in our office and one of them is Ikea. Here is what one of the doors looks like:

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 2.25.47 PM.jpg

The hinges are friction fit and the cup holes are blown out. The model has been discontinued by Ikea so there's no way to get a new door. Y'all think epoxy would hold that hinge in place?
    You might take the door to an actual Ikea store and see if they at least have something similar, dimensionally. Ikea is not always going to change basic dimensions when they update product lines.

Besides, it's a nice conversation starter with other Ikea shoppers. :^)

You might take the door to an actual Ikea store and see if they at least have something similar, dimensionally. Ikea is not always going to change basic dimensions when they update product lines.

Besides, it's a nice conversation starter with other Ikea shoppers. :^)
    Do this - spend the day. Have some meatballs. Then go home and do what John said.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Do this - spend the day. Have some meatballs. Then go home and do what John said.
    Agreed. Just don't go on a weekend