Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid TS 3612 Worth

Ridgid TS 3612 Worth

Would you guys pay 350 for a 3612. I'm looking to upgrade and I've read its a good saw with decent fence. 350 seems sporty to me, unless pristine which I don't think this one is. Thoughts appreciated.

Mike

My personal opinion, take your $350 and buy an old Unisaw, then clean it up. Your kids will inherit it, because you will never need a better saw. The portable saws being sold today aren't made to last more than a few years, have very little value when they get older, and are no where near as accurate as a Unisaw or a Powermatic equivalent, if you can find one. I bought a $300 mid 80's Unisaw after owning several lesser grade "portable" saws that cost me as much as $630 each. I replaced the Unisaw arbor and motor bearings, installed new belts, cleaned the cabinet, calibrated it, and then put it into use. That was 18 years ago. I have since added a Wixey DRO and a plastic cover for the motor opening, which made the saw much quieter. It came with a 52" Unifence, and I was planning to replace the fence, but once I began using the Unifence, I fell in love with it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use a Biesmeier fence at work and I now hate it. I bought a Uni-T-Fence extrusion from Peachtree woodworking www.ptreeusa.com that provides T slots and a square profile to help with attaching jigs and fixtures. This fence extrusion can easily be slid into place and attached to the Unifence body in the same way as the original Unifence extrusion, so I can now use either fence extrusion and have the benefits that both offer. I liked the Uni-T-Fence design so much that I also bought a 16" length of it from them to use as a short fence. I like the high/low fence capability of the original fence extrusion and I can switch to the square profile Uni-T-Fence with T slots to use when I want to attach feather boards or jigs. This saw is incredibly accurate. I'll not ever need a better saw in my lifetime, and one of my children will inherit it. It took a little effort to change the belts and bearings, and clean up the saw, but it's been well worth it, and it's a night and day difference in accuracy over those portable saws that I've owned before.

Charley

i have a 3612 and we paid 300 for it in very very good condition several years ago. it's really quite a good saw for the money. the fence works pretty well, it stays adjusted and i have no complaints about it. A used unisaw for that price, at least around here, will need a lot of work. I think its a solid buy at 3 or 350.

i agree with all of above, a unisaw would be cool, but is really overkill for my level. Yeah, if i really get the bug for this hobby it will be great, but i can always upgrade later. However, there is a unisaw available locally, asking 650. Not even sure how i'd get it home, but will probably go look at it. Thanks again.

A unisaw takes less room then a contractor saw because the motor is inside the cabinet not hanging out the back. Two guys can flip a unisaw into a pickup truck so it is top down. This is with a proper pickup not the newer jacked up ones that the bed is 6 inches higher for no reason. Or four bolts to remove the top and move it that way.
    Bil lD

Just talked to the Unisaw owner, he can't meet me until Saturday, which is fine. He is inconvenient to me, but on Sat AM drive should be easy.

Big question. I have a Honda Odyssey van, if i remove the fence, wings and table, could the saw then slide into my Odyssey on one side or am I crazy? Need some thoughts here. Can make 2 trips if necessary as owner doesn't need it gone instantly.

Or rent the HD pick up truck (would prefer to avoid this route if possible).

Mike

If you have a good reliable saw when first getting into woodworking, you will enjoy woodworking far more and easily get better results than if you use a saw with many flaws. Making something on a saw that won't cut straight or accurate will result in none of your work fitting together properly and you will spend extra hours on every project trying to square and trim your project parts to get your project completed and looking acceptable. When you can cut the pieces accurately and square, everything fits together without all of this hand fitting. You will likely use a table saw more than any other power tool in your shop, so it's very much worth getting a good one to start with.

The Unisaw that you found is a little high in price compared to here in NC, but demand for them in various parts of the country varies and significantly affects the prices, so it may be a great deal in your area. If it's a really nice, complete, and well maintained saw, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it at that price. If you don't, you will likely not get a second chance at it. Newer saws are worth more than older ones too, but the Unisaw design didn't change much over the years. Buy once, cry once. Much older saws had lower horsepower motors than the 3 or 5 hp motors used since about the 1970's, but I have used some of the older saws with 1 and 1 1/2 hp motors, and they are quite adequate for home shop use. The really old saws had repulsion induction type motors which were stronger at lower hp ratings than the newer induction motors now being used, so I wouldn't refuse one of these because of this.

If you remove the top, make certain that you keep track of the spacers under it. You will want to put them back in the same positions that they came from. Four zip lock bags labeled with each corner designation will let you keep them in the right order. If laying the saw down, I would remove the motor. Sideways stress of the motor weight could break something when you hit a big bump. They do travel completely upside down, fully assembled, in a pickup truck quite well, and it's easy for two guys to catch the edge of the saw table on the tailgate and then pivot hinge it up and over until it's sitting in the truck bed flat on it's table top. I would put an old blanket or moving pad in the truck bed before putting the saw in. It will reduce the chance of scratching the top, and also make it easier to drag the blanket and saw forward to center the weight over the rear axle. Tie it in good and it will travel well for hundreds of miles. To unload, just reverse the process. The table top and the motor are most of the weight.

If the saw is clean with little or no rust and you can run test it before buying (take some scrap 2 by lumber and a saw blade for the test)...... If you can raise, lower, and tilt the blade to it's full extents .....If it comes with a good fence and miter gauge, it is a good deal at that price. Subtract for any condition less that this or for missing items. Blade wrenches are easily available from www.ereplacementparts.com, but will cost you about $20 for the pair. A good condition Unifence is worth $150-250. Biesmeier, about $150. 3 phase motors are good if you have 3 phase, not so if you want to use them at home. If you only have 1 phase 240 volt available (normal home power) a new motor or phase converter is going to cost $175 - $400. Factor these into your decision.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 05-10-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Charles, thanks for input.

Checked out the Ridgid this morning, an adequate saw for a newbie for sure, owner is unrealistic. Going to check out Unisaw, has the unifence and is 220 single phase. This is clearly the better deal, if i can score and get it home. It has a side extensio so is about 60" wide, very cool, but big for my space. Definitely will need it on a mobile base and will no doubt need an extension cord.

It's the same as mine, and I couldn't bare to cut the Unifence rail down, so my 52" Unisaw/Unifence has the extension table butted up against the wall in about the center of the long wall of my 14 X 26 shop. Next to it on the left end is my 6" jointer. Then to the left of the jointer is a narrow aisle and then the miter saw is up against the opposite wall facing the jointer. I's tight, but so is the rest of my shop. I break up full sheets outside using a cutting table, straight edges, and my circular saw with a zero clearance Lexan sole on it to minimize chipping of the cuts. It has a large opening to allow the blade guard to function, but just a blade wide slit where the blade teeth rise up through the wood being cut. I break up my sheets leaving about 1/4" extra, and then take the pieces inside and trim them to final dimension on my Unisaw. I have photos of this cutting table, straight edges, and circular saw with the Lexan sole piece, if you are interested. This is all kind of a poor man's track saw system, because I haven't yet decided that I really need a track saw.

You may not like the Unifence at first, but once familiar with it's high/low capability and the ability to pull the fence back to make it shorter or longer I'm certain that it will win you over. You can also flip the fence end for end and attach it to the opposite side of the casting, then move the fence to the opposite side of the blade. It's quick and easy to do.

Good luck with your Saturday meeting.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 05-10-2019 at 7:36 PM.

Let us know if you score the Unisaw. Post pictures too please.

Scored the Unisaw, it was in near new condition, original owner, gave him the cash. We disassembled and put it in my Honda van, way less hassle than anticipated. Once rail and table was off, it was easy for 2 of us to slide it in. Only photos are of it in van, need to move some stuff to get it in garage. This is way better than the Ridgid. When we removed the table, we found the shims welded to the underside, so nothing to lose or put back incorrectly.

Plan is to rearrange my space in garage, get a mobile base so I can easily put it back in corner when not in use. So yeah, some work down the road, but for the moment I've scored a great saw. Mike

IMG_0356.JPGIMG_0357.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gambone View Post
    Charles, thanks for input.

Checked out the Ridgid this morning, an adequate saw for a newbie for sure, owner is unrealistic. Going to check out Unisaw, has the unifence and is 220 single phase. This is clearly the better deal, if i can score and get it home. It has a side extensio so is about 60" wide, very cool, but big for my space. Definitely will need it on a mobile base and will no doubt need an extension cord.
    Nothing says you HAVE to use the wider table. I have a Grizzly 1023 that has 27" to the right of the blade and have never found that limiting. I use a saw guide and PC-314 to cut sheet goods down to size - cut 'em a little oversized and clean up on the table saw if you feel it's necessary. There's no way in the world I'm going to lift full sized sheet goods onto a table saw. I have a router plate to the right of the blade so have a router table with lots of table to the left of the cutter. Here's my homemade mobile base, it works well with the shorter table, wouldn't work with a wider table. Second pic is current iteration of the router table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-12-2019 at 9:07 AM.

Mike,

Congratulations on getting a REAL TABLE SAW at a good price.

For my mobile base, I found out that HTC was selling some odd sized mobile bases at a significant discount to clear them out of their warehouse. I bought one that I knew wasn't the right size, but with a plan to cut it up and add pieces of 1 X 2 pipe where necessary, to make it fit my Unisaw and extension table. The general design and the wheels were worth the price, even if I hadn't been able to use the rest of it. I think I paid $35 including shipping for the base. My son and I share a metal fabrication shop, so this modification was easy for me. When the mobile base arrived I knew what new dimensions it had to be and cut it up. Then I butt welded pieces of the same square pipe wherever needed to end up with the base size that I needed to fit my saw. I was painting it with the same color gray paint (rattle can from Lowes) about an hour later. I put it under my Unisaw the following day. After welding and painting, this base looks and works just like the proper size HTC base, for about 1/3 the price. HTC might still have some of these bases, so might be worth contacting them. They sent me a list with the dimensions of each to pick from. If you have the metal working capabilities it might be a good way for you to get a cheap base for your saw too. A welder, grinder, hack saw, and tape measure are really all that is needed, plus a rattle can of paint. Once the pipes were butt welded together, ground smooth, and painted the joints were practically invisible and I have a perfect fitting HTC base under my saw.

Since your shop is also small, if you want any info on my method of breaking down full sheet stock outside my shop on a cutting table, just ask. I'm a 77 yr old man with internal metal and plastic parts now, and I've also had 6 heart surgeries. I can no longer lift or carry thicker full sheets anymore, so I have come up with a bunch of ways to move and make breaking up the sheet stock much easier for me and what's left of my body. Thinking back, I should have been doing it this way 60 years ago. All of my ways may not be needed by you yet, but I'm certain that some of my methods will be of help.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 05-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Charley, thanks for your help here an convincing me the better saw was the way to go. As soon as i looked at it, i knew it was right. Lots for me to learn.

No easy access to a fabricator as I don't have a welder, but something to think about as a couple buds do, probably cost me some beer! Most likely, I'll try and score a base on close out or something, when price looks right. I don't need the saw this week.

Curt, turned out, it's not as big as i thought and by moving my air compressor and a redoing a shelf, it will fit in the alcove left as the laundry room does not extend for the full garage width. Wheel it out when needed, back when done.

Questions on splitter, need input, but seems time for a new post.

Mike

If you decide to cut down the Unifence, it is easy to do. You can cut the aluminum fence support rail with a Miter saw. Just go slow, and it will cut cleanly. No damage to my blade.

I cut mine to about 33" (cut width, not fence rail width). I would recommend cutting it so you can still rip 36", which should cover most cabinet size cuts. You could always trim more later if desired.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.