Thread: 3 Cornered Lidded Box

3 Cornered Lidded Box

DSC_3corner0003.JPG

More front on View.....

DSC_3 Corner0001.JPG This walnut box is 8" wide x 7.5" tall to the tip of the knob.

Comments always welcome!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'm working one some four cornered plates and now really appreciate your craft. It's quite a challenge to keep those sides the same and the corners crisp. Very nice choice of wood and excellent technique. Well done.

maybe a dumb question, but what shape do you start with to get the finished 3 corner turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    maybe a dumb question, but what shape do you start with to get the finished 3 corner turning?
    Start with a cube

Mike Walsh, To add to what Roger said (BTW, Rogers, that's a great looking piece !!)

For a 3 cornered box, you hold the cube by the ends or apex. There are a few Youtube videos.

I made one (it looks pathetic compared to Roger's) and I initially held it in the headstock by putting the point into the MT2 hole in the spindle. I held the other end with a live center with the point removed. So, it was held by friction. Then I took light cuts while creating a mortise or tenon. Then I reversed it and created another mortise or tenon and "let the chips fly"

Another gorgeous piece Roger! Congrats!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I'm working one some four cornered plates and now really appreciate your craft. It's quite a challenge to keep those sides the same and the corners crisp. Very nice choice of wood and excellent technique. Well done.
    Thank you Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Mike Walsh, To add to what Roger said (BTW, Rogers, that's a great looking piece !!)

For a 3 cornered box, you hold the cube by the ends or apex. There are a few Youtube videos.

I made one (it looks pathetic compared to Roger's) and I initially held it in the headstock by putting the point into the MT2 hole in the spindle. I held the other end with a live center with the point removed. So, it was held by friction. Then I took light cuts while creating a mortise or tenon. Then I reversed it and created another mortise or tenon and "let the chips fly"
    Bruce..........you should post some of your work. Thanks for your kind sentiments...they are gracious and most appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Another gorgeous piece Roger! Congrats!
    Thank you sir!

thanks, and very nice work!