Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: workbench and vises

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Is this bench for use with hand planes, or power tools? If hand planes, it needs to be as rack-free and heavy as possible. The face vise would be chosen for edge jointing. I use a leg vise. The end vise is used to hold boards for face planing. I use a BenchCrafted wagon vise. A Moxon vise is held on top of the bench for sawing dovetails.

If to be used primarily for power tools, look at the Record-equivalents or double screw from either LV or LN.

If used against a wall, unless you have arms like a gorilla, keep the width under 24”. I am happy with 22”. My bench is 78” long and 3 1/2” thick, all hardwood. I am a blended woodworker and hand plane user.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

I don't really hand plane much now, if I do, it's just to shave off some wood for a joint. I am starting to get more interested in hand tools, but with the time I get to spend in my shop, power tools make things go a bit faster. My reason for going wider is for assembly purposes, having the extra with would be helpful. Looks like I am in need of expanding my vise selection and while I didn't set an exact budget, I am going to also need to expand how much I was somewhat thinking about spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I have the Veritas twin-screw on the front of my bench and a Benchcrafted wagon vise on the end. I love Lee Valley and Veritas, but the Benchcrafted vise is much smoother and grips with less effort. Someday, I am going to change out the front vise to one of the options from Benchcrafted.
    I too put a Veritas twin-screw in the face position and wish I had chosen a quick release. It's a nice vise, but I now realize I prefer speed. Unfortunately, the bench design assumed the twin screw as the vise straddles the leg. I can't put a quick-release in the same place and do not have room outside the leg. So, choose your vices before making final design decisions.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    ... What is a 'Nicholson'?
    Just in case this was serious, Peter Nicholson wrote "Mechanic's Companion" in the early 19th century. (A reprint of an 1845 edition is available from Megan Fitzpatrick's Rude Mechanicals Press and a few retailers, e.g. TFWW & LV.) In it he described an English Joiner's Bench (Plate 12). It became known as the Nicholson bench.

There are many recent books & articles that describe variations of it. Chris Schwarz describes it, and its advantages & disadvantages, in his two workbench books. Plus, Mike Siemsen covers building one in his "The Naked Woodworker" video. (Note that's naked as in without tools or skills, i.e. beginning, not as in without clothes.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Just in case this was serious, Peter Nicholson wrote "Mechanic's Companion" in the early 19th century. (A reprint of an 1845 edition is available from Megan Fitzpatrick's Rude Mechanicals Press and a few retailers, e.g. TFWW & LV.) In it he described an English Joiner's Bench (Plate 12). It became known as the Nicholson bench.

There are many recent books & articles that describe variations of it. Chris Schwarz describes it, and its advantages & disadvantages, in his two workbench books. Plus, Mike Siemsen covers building one in his "The Naked Woodworker" video. (Note that's naked as in without tools or skills, i.e. beginning, not as in without clothes.)
    Yup - sorry it was serious, I really never researched workbench history. Anyway, I did get a copy of Chris Schwarz's Workbench Design Book last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Yup - sorry it was serious, I really never researched workbench history. Anyway, I did get a copy of Chris Schwarz's Workbench Design Book last night.
    I'm not sure it's availability, with F+W Media's bankruptcy and all, and I think the DVD was already out of print, but if you can find Mike's video it would go a long way explaining the actual construction. (I don't generally like videos, preferring something I can consume at my own speed and easily refer back to, but I really liked Mike's teaching style. Very down to earth, very practical, but not at all condescending.) He also had a short video on work holding without vises he put up when the tool & bench video was released.

ETA: I think the Nicholson bench is generally recommended as the easy to build, quick, cheap bench you can use for 6 months, or 30 years, while you decide what your "real" bench will look like. And once you decide you can use your Nicholson to help build your fancy Roubo, or whatever....
    Last edited by David Bassett; 05-09-2019 at 2:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post

ETA: I think the Nicholson bench is generally recommended as the easy to build, quick, cheap bench you can use for 6 months, or 30 years, while you decide what your "real" bench will look like. And once you decide you can use your Nicholson to help build your fancy Roubo, or whatever....
    I am going the Roubo route