Thread: Kumiko Resources

Kumiko Resources

I'm trying to find some information on preparing Kumiko stock. I don't have a table saw which I see a lot of people use to get the stock ready, especially the slots for the grid. I was looking at Shoji and Kumiko Design: Book 1 by Desmond King. Does anyone have this or know if it includes preparing stock with hand tools? I know I could figure it out, but I'm trying to work smarter and not harder, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries
    Use my website, I show how to do it in my first build.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Toshio Odate’s book Making Shoji has a description of the process and the tools involved.

The tool is a splitting gauge, or Wari Kebiki, which is used to split off the kumiko. As this compresses the fibers you need to raise them again by wetting, before planning to final thickness.

Traditional shoji makers could do a door a day, by all accounts, so once mastered, it is a fairly speedy process... although not as fast as the multi blade table saws now in use that can churn end mountains of kumiko in seconds...
    Last edited by Dom Campbell; 05-08-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spullin

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks Brian! I'll have a look

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Campbell View Post
    Toshio Odate’s book Making Shoji has a description of the process and the tools involved.

The tool is a splitting gauge, or Wari Kebiki, which is used to split off the kumiko. As this compresses the fibers you need to raise them again by wetting, before planning to final thickness.

Traditional shoji makers could do a door a day, by all accounts, so once mastered, it is a fairly speedy process... although not as fast as the multi blade table saws now in use that can churn end mountains of kumiko in seconds...
    I'll have to look into that book, Dom. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Hey Brian, which post are you referring to exactly? Can't find it on your website.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...-bypass-doors/

Under 'Build threads', easier to see on a computer or tablet over a phone, but the phone should work too.

I do this with a bandsaw then jointer/planer and careful processing now, but I made these by hand. If you're up for a considerable amount of ripping, you can rip 3/8"~ stock by hand out of wider (quarter sawn) boards, then process that into 1/4" thick material with hand planes. Followed by straightening one edge and using a splitting gauge to get close to your dimension (width). This method is best deployed with riven stock and short of that it would ok to use this if it is perfectly rift material and perfectly straight grained on both sides (zero run out). If there is minor runout then saw the lines rather than splitting.

Whatever you do, don't use stock with moderate to significant runout on either face, it will cause you many a headache.

Also depends on the scale of what you're making, most of the shoji I make is for western installation and so they're often 7' tall and the kumiko are around 5' tall. Stock choice is probably the most important aspect of the work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.