Thread: Kitchen table legs - baltic birch plywood

Blog Entries

Kitchen table legs - baltic birch plywood

Hi,

I wanted to try my first veneer project. I am drawing the model up in Fusion 360 at the moment (link below). I'd like to have the legs cut out of 3/4" baltic birch then veneer them (raw veneer, no paper). I'm making the top floating (1/2" above top of legs). I will have some cross pieces below the table top to sturdy it up. Top will be solid wood cherry (already made, sitting around after another project never went thru). Ebony veneer for legs (so far).

Thoughts on strength? Bending? Size of top is 60" x 33" x 0.75". Height is 31" total.

Link: https://a360.co/2J61Y0Z

screenshot.png

I think I’m seeing roundovers on the edges of the legs. Getting veneer to do that is extremely challenging. I’d use solid lumber along the edges, and do the round over in that.

Blog Entries
    Just 90* cuts... I have radius'd the legs to the apron, but no roundover work on the legs. All faces of the legs are either perpendicular or parallel to each other. The table top has a chamfer.

Blog Entries
    Weird, the link isn't working anymore. No idea what's going on there. Hopefully the screenshot is good enough.

Blog Entries
    screenshot 2.png

Another shot

Ah, I can see better on my home monitor than on my phone screen.
    You're planning on veneer to edgeband the plywood? That will give you hard knife edges where a veneer face meets a veneer edge. You can't ease the corner because you'll go through the veneer. The sharp corner will not be pleasant to the touch, and it will be susceptible to dings. Do some experimentation yourself before you dive into the whole table.

Blog Entries
    hmm... Okay. I'll do that and keep reading. Thanks for advice.

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to make the legs from maple and ebonize instead of ply + veneer. I think the veneer might be too busy anyway. Maybe I'll start with trying simply inlays.