Thread: EM6000 question

EM6000 question

For those of you that spray Target's Coatings EM6000, could you describe your "handrubbing" process and what you use? I'm still in my "experimental" phase and trying to figure out the best way.

I've never done any "hand rubbing" for EM6000 or any other Target finish. But once fully cured, it shouldn't behave any differently than other acrylic finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim:
    The finish I get "off the gun" isn't acceptable (dust nibs, I guess). I sand with a series of micro mesh sanding pads and mineral oil (was told not to use water or mineral spirits) until I get the desired sheen and smoothness. Am I on the right track?

Steve, it may be necessary to rub out a project already sprayed, but you should work towards getting a dust free finish straight off the gun in the future. If you aren't using a spray booth, well, that's probably why. In any case, you will save yourself countless hours of work by doing whatever is needed to get a finish as perfect as possible w/o needing to rub it out.

And I don't understand why you can't use soapy water, or MS for that matter, if you must rub out a WB finish. As long as the finish has cured a week there should be no issue. Mineral oil might work fine but then you are faced with having to clean it off.

John

John:
    I was told by Target Coatings that water could soften the water borne finish and to never use mineral spirits on EM6000. Was told to either sand it dry or use mineral oil very sparingly.

Water is only the carrier...it's not the solvent. I agree with John that something doesn't make sense about the recommendation to not use water as a lubricant when working the surface of a CURED water borne finish.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Potter View Post
    John:
    I was told by Target Coatings that water could soften the water borne finish and to never use mineral spirits on EM6000. Was told to either sand it dry or use mineral oil very sparingly.

If TC says water and mineral spirits can damage EM-6000 I sure wouldn't use it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If TC says water and mineral spirits can damage EM-6000 I sure wouldn't use it.

John
    Agree, but it still doesn't make sense to me! Neither of those fluids have ever affected anything I've finished with EM6000 or USL or PSL before that. including in my kitchen.
    --

It would be worth talking to them. They may be thinking that if they didn't say that, someone might use water, or MS the next morning after spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Agree, but it still doesn't make sense to me! Neither of those fluids have ever affected anything I've finished with EM6000 or USL or PSL before that. including in my kitchen.
    I'm sure you are right, Jim; I can't imagine short term exposure of water or mineral spirits would harm nearly any cured finish.

John