Thread: Any quality hacksaws out there?

Any quality hacksaws out there?

I am in need of a Hacksaw for cutting metal... I do it so rarely so I dont want a machine to do it. Just a lowly hacksaw will do it for me.

But, do you have any suggestions for a quality product with good blades?

I have an older version of the lenox high tension frame. It's seen fairly hard use and has held up well. You can put a lot of tension on the blade and you can store a few extra blades inside the frame. I tend to use lenox blades as well and have no complaints with them. They've changed the design of the tensioner on the newer model, but it still has a nice large lever for setting the tension instead of the small knob you see on many saws.

I too use the Lennox saw and blades and have found them to be very good.

I third the lennox. Walked in to lee valley one day and bought it for $20 .

I have both Lennox and Starret HT hack saws. Use either brand of blades, depending upon which vendor I'm purchasing from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kraakenes View Post
    I am in need of a Hacksaw for cutting metal... I do it so rarely so I dont want a machine to do it. Just a lowly hacksaw will do it for me.

But, do you have any suggestions for a quality product with good blades?
    I have several, but I think the blade is more important than the frame! I use several brands but I like the Milwaukee bimetal blades.

Hey, do you have a reciprocating "sawzall" saw for cutting wood? I do a quite a bit of metal working and have a variety of ways to cut metal and keep the hacksaw handy, but when I get to thicker metal the reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade is VERY effective. I've cut a lot of angle iron, bar, and thick plate this way. If you already have a reciprocating saw for cutting wood, you might try one of the blades. I prefer the Milwaukee bimetal blades called the "Torch" but use others, including Dewalt and Bosch.

JKJ

Starrett blades are top quality and priced fairly. Good saw frames are Starrett, Lenox, Sandvix. I think Eclipse is gone only get a high tension frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Starrett blades are top quality and priced fairly. Good saw frames are Starrett, Lenox, Sandvix. I think Eclipse is gone only get a high tension frame.
    I've been using the Starrett "Green Stripe" hacksaw blades for over 45 years (not the same one). I think they are first rate (top shelf for you older guys). I have two hacksaw frames - a Craftsman from the 60's and a more modern Craftsman from the early 70's. I don't need a hacksaw very often these days, but when I do - I reach for one of these.
    David

20190618_021622.jpg 20190618_021645.jpg 20190618_021649.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Klein and Lenox frames.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me