Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dylos and dust collection

Dylos and dust collection

Greetings everyone! Longtime woodworker but new member here needing help.

I recently read Bill Pentz' information on dust collection and realized my system needs some upgrading. Before I begin I thought I should find out where I'm at "particle-wise" so I know which improvements help and which don't. I'm aware that a fine particle count of "0" is best but not actually achievable in our small home shops. So,

1. For those of you who have particle counters, what are you seeing for particle counts, generally speaking say while working or 30 minutes later, etc.? I know this is anecdotal and dependent on how your shop is set up but it will give me and others a ball-park idea of some real-world results.

2. Are there other counters that will measure the small particles we are concerned about that are less expensive but reliable?

3. Currently the Dylos pro is about $260, not cheap for those of us on a fixed income. Apparently some members participated in a group by about 10 years ago. Is there currently any interest in another one? What kind of savings did you see in the last one?

4. Is there anyone in the Phoenix area who would like to loan/rent theirs out? (Well, cant blame a guy for tryin')

I might be interested in a group buy.

I am a long time hobbiest but new to measurement of dust collection in my attached garage shop- just got a Dylos Pro because of the smaller particle counting ability. Ambient air so far (Spokane WA) seems to be in 150 - 200 range (small particle) unless the wind is really blowing. Similar in my garage shop until I start moving things around (amazing how even gentle sweeping can bump it to 3000-4000 seemingly in the blink of an eye). For reference, 75-150 is very good, 150-300 is good, 1050 - 3000 is poor and 3000+ is very poor according to Dylos
    I have an older 2 hp Oneida cyclone air handler with internal filter and it will decrease counts to below 100 in a few minutes (10-15) running with 3 blast gates open. This really surprised me as the filter is stock pleated filter and not HEPA. Big gulp type collector right behind lathe gets remarkable amount of the dust unless the turning is larger diameter - then a fair amount seems to escape back toward me. Amazing how ROS throws dust around even with 2 close by 4” hoses running to the collector. Lots of other interesting observations like have charcoal grill starting on the deck with door into garage open - right up to 4000+ in nothing flat!
    I am still experimenting with all of this as I have been using it only 10 days or so but it has really changed my workflows and points to need for separate good air filter in addition to the cyclone. More money but only got one set of lungs.

I tend to look at the large particle numbers (even though the small particle numbers are the more dangerous ones to your lungs). My ambient air has been about 500 range in two separate shops. Sanding / wood cutting can easily get it to the 1500-2000 range. I was amazed how high it got when they were cutting the cement raised floor tiles. Ran about 30-35,000. And these guys don't wear masks/respirators, and refused them when I offered them. Scared the daylights out of me.

My air cleaners, when both on high can get large particles to the 50-100 range, and small particles to almost non-existent (10-15 range). Kinda feels like a clean room to me.

So, I'm a huge believer in air cleaners. They clearly work in my shop. Plus the 5HP Oneida cyclone doesn't hurt.

And I don't take off my respirator (3M, half mask) until the air returns to ambient levels.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I've had the Dylos Pro for years. I haven't been making dust lately but turned it on to check it and the count was about 300. Like Alan, I also use a 5hp cyclone which really helps according to the Dylos. I don't have my air cleaner up now but in the past I have watched the numbers go back down to normal over the course of an hour or so. I also use the 3M half mask respirators when making sawdust.

There was a thread here not long ago about some very low-cost air quality monitors available, I think, from eBay. Maybe search, or someone may have the info.

JKJ

Thought many times about picking up a Dylos Pro. If anyone gets a group buy setup let me know as I might be interested depending on the discount.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If you have good dust collection, Put A decent smoke detector in your shop. This is the first step for many reasons . If you’re fine particle count kicks the smoke off... you might want to invest further. Different wood fibres affect people differently. I don’t know what is in MDF. But it gets me coughing every time...

I was tempted by that low-cost air quality meter on eBay and ordered it. When it didn’t show up three months later I demanded and got a refund. So buyer beware

Thanks everyone for responding- that’s great information and will be very helpful going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    If you have good dust collection, Put A decent smoke detector in your shop. This is the first step for many reasons . If you’re fine particle count kicks the smoke off... you might want to invest further. Different wood fibres affect people differently. I don’t know what is in MDF. But it gets me coughing every time...
    Good idea- never thought of that. Good to have one in case of fire too!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There was a thread here not long ago about some very low-cost air quality monitors available, I think, from eBay. Maybe search, or someone may have the info.
    JKJ
    Thanks John. It just occurred to me that other meters may report differently, so trying to compare Dylos counts to “Brand X” counts might be like comparing apples to oranges. Probably best to stick with Dylos.

Does anyone know how many orders were needed for the past group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    Ambient air so far (Spokane WA) seems to be in 150 - 200 range (small particle) unless the wind is really blowing.
    Should be interesting to see what it reads come fire season here in a month or two

Here in Wenatchee where all that crap just settles and hangs... a Dylos would probably tell me I'd be better off sucking on the discharge from the belt sander

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Should be interesting to see what it reads come fire season here in a month or two

Here in Wenatchee where all that crap just settles and hangs... a Dylos would probably tell me I'd be better off sucking on the discharge from the belt sander
    Actually when the wind is really blowing in Spokane and the particle counts jump it’s because of all the stuff coming from Wenatchee :<)
    Agree about the fire season - not looking forward to that

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    Actually when the wind is really blowing in Spokane and the particle counts jump it’s because of all the stuff coming from Wenatchee :<)
    Agree about the fire season - not looking forward to that
    Yikes, you guys have scheduled an actual fire season? We schedule a humidity season here. I think I like that better than fire.

JKJ