Thread: Assistance with finish

Assistance with finish

Hey guy! So in working on my first dining table. I have decided to go with pine. I know it's not idea, but cost. I have a small hole where a knot blew out (and of course pine can be full of knots). I was thinking of filling the hole with an epoxy resin. But, I also was planning on finishing with a black walnut Danish oil followed by something like General Finish's Arm N Seal.

What would be the best order? Epoxy, sand, oil, and finish? Or oil, epoxy, sand, and finish?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Epoxy first. That said, the pine is soft compared to the resin. You're going to need to be very careful in leveling the resin prior to preparing your pine for your finish. And before you commit to that finishing regiment...try it out on scrap of the same material sanded to the same extent you plan on sanding the real workpiece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you considered filling the knot hole with a plug or patch of pine from a piece of scrap? If the hole is bigger than a dime, that epoxy fill will be pretty visible I would think.

Thank you for the guidance. I'll try to post an update.IMG_7353.jpg20190527_165317.jpg