Thread: $1 axe, from a garage sale...

$1 axe, from a garage sale...

Was among a couple other "treasures" on the day....picked up a new handle for it, today..
    Axe rehab, before 2.JPG
    Old handle had more cracks than a city sidewalk...new handle was from the Blue Borg here in town ( was there, buying a new mower..)
    Axe rehab, before 1.JPG
    Hmmm...there is traces of blue paint on the axe head...so, after maybe an hour total in the Rehab Shop..
    Axe rehab, after 2.JPG
    new handle has been fitted and wedged...and trimmed. Head has been cleaned up....burrs have been ground down...old handle is headed for the fire pit...
    Might be a decent axe? Still needs a GOOD sharpening.....cleaned up steel has a coat of 3in1 oil rubbed on it...may clean off the labels on the handle?
    Depending on the price of the handle....not too bad of a find?

For a buck and 15 for the handle and two hours, yup, good find.

Do you have any trouble with grain runout on footed handles like that? My arthritis doctor took away my chainsaw a couple or three years ago, but she didn't say I couldn't swing an axe. So I am learning about axes. Wished I had paid more attention when my grandpa was talking about axes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    For a buck and 15 for the handle and two hours, yup, good find.

Do you have any trouble with grain runout on footed handles like that? My arthritis doctor took away my chainsaw a couple or three years ago, but she didn't say I couldn't swing an axe. So I am learning about axes. Wished I had paid more attention when my grandpa was talking about axes.
    This might be useful. An Ax to Grind, A Practical Ax Manual put out by the US Forestry Service. useful!

This is the HTML version

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlp...232823/toc.htm

And this is the PDF version

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpu...823Pdpi300.pdf

Axe appears to be made by Collins,,,and is a Dayton pattern? Edge needs honed, is all....has a wire edge.

Steven, several guys that use axes for a living hang out at bushcraftusa . check under 'edged tools'.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Blog Entries
    Showoff

And...I turned down 3 others the other day....because they were Michigan pattern ones....meh...Spent the money on other things, at that Barn Sale....