Thread: Jet full sized lathes no longer rotating?

Jet full sized lathes no longer rotating?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a full sized lathe and I'm looking in the 2000-2500 range. I'd seen mixed reviews about the JET rotating head feature, but otherwise they were top of my short list. Everything is out of stock everywhere and it looks like JET is going to ship them again this summer. I was looking at the JET website to get some other specs from the manual and randomly noticed there is no longer any mention of rotation or pivoting anywhere and there aren't any instructions in the manual related to rotation, but it does show how to slide the head.

So are the JET 1640 and 1840 now sliding only? This is an upgrade in my book and pretty much seals the deal on which I'll end up purchasing. It also shows a lower attachment for the bed extension similar to the Laguna models. I think that one is new as well.

Tom

Tom,

I think it is headstock sliding only, but I haven't used one. I'm sure the Jet site would advertise it and have pictures if it rotated.

I suspect reasons for using the slider instead is more precision and eliminating the alignment issues some with rotating headstocks have (plus less complicated and lower-cost mechanism.)

I have two of the Jet 1642 lathes and one Powermatic 3520b and they all have sliding headstocks. My Powermatic came with the bed extension that can be mounted lower and a tool rest extension which lets the headstock extend off the end of the bed for some insanely large swing, 30 some inches I think. Although the bed extension is only 18" and wouldn't allow for a deep and large bowl, I don't think this is a big issue since I don't really consider that lathe suitable for off-balance blanks that large. (I use the bed extension as a bed extension.) A lot of people do use both of these lathes with the headstock at the end but without the lowered bed extension - gives better access for hollowing and such, but that does prevent using the tailstock for safety support.

But for what I turn, I have never found the access a problem with the headstock in the normal position. If tool and handle position is a problem for the inside of a bowl I turn in reverse with the tool on the opposite side. I also tend to use the tailstock for extra support whenever possible. A friend was injured recently when a tenon broke on bowl blank - the bowl wasn't very large but it still required stitching up his arm.

Does Nova still have a lathe with a rotating headstock?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    I'm thinking about upgrading to a full sized lathe and I'm looking in the 2000-2500 range. I'd seen mixed reviews about the JET rotating head feature, but otherwise they were top of my short list. Everything is out of stock everywhere and it looks like JET is going to ship them again this summer. I was looking at the JET website to get some other specs from the manual and randomly noticed there is no longer any mention of rotation or pivoting anywhere and there aren't any instructions in the manual related to rotation, but it does show how to slide the head.

So are the JET 1640 and 1840 now sliding only? This is an upgrade in my book and pretty much seals the deal on which I'll end up purchasing. It also shows a lower attachment for the bed extension similar to the Laguna models. I think that one is new as well.

Tom

Yeah, the 1642 and 1842 were never rotating, only sliding.

Most pivoting headstocks are not well thought out. Part of the design problem is getting it from pivoted position back into in line position without having to do a lot of adjusting. The sliding headstock eliminates that. So, for the sliding headstocks, you need room off the end of the tailstock to be able to stand and turn. The other option for a long bed lathe is being able to have room on the outboard end to stand and turn. This is mostly for bowl turning, because on a long bed lathe, you either have to bend over and lean up against the lathe, or extend your arms out away from your body. I did pick up a VL 240, (Vicmarc with the pivoting headstock) and they do the pivoting head stock the way I would do it. Locking pin for in line, 30 and 90 degree pivots. It goes between the positions with a locking pin, and goes exactly to each position. With the headstock at 30 degrees, I can use the banjo. With the headstock at 90 degrees, I have to use an outboard tool rest set up. It is nice and stable, but not for use in production work because it is a bit awkward to use for multiple adjustments. My first real lathe was a 3520A, which I got for the sliding headstock. I have a demo coming up in Washington where I get to do bowl turning on a long bed lathe with a fixed headstock (Robust Sweet 16). I have been practicing my turning on my lathes in long bed set up rather than my normal pivoted or tailstock down to the end set ups. Really is a huge difference...

robo hippy

Perhaps lack of precision stops on some lathes is the reason Nova sells this alignment tool - put the #2MT on one end in the headstock, the one on the other end in the tailstock, and tighten everything down. (Does it come with their lathes with rotating head?) That they sell it suggests that it is needed for proper alignment, at least in some cases.

Nova_alignment-tool.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Most pivoting headstocks are not well thought out. Part of the design problem is getting it from pivoted position back into in line position without having to do a lot of adjusting. The sliding headstock eliminates that. So, for the sliding headstocks, you need room off the end of the tailstock to be able to stand and turn. The other option for a long bed lathe is being able to have room on the outboard end to stand and turn. This is mostly for bowl turning, because on a long bed lathe, you either have to bend over and lean up against the lathe, or extend your arms out away from your body. I did pick up a VL 240, (Vicmarc with the pivoting headstock) and they do the pivoting head stock the way I would do it. Locking pin for in line, 30 and 90 degree pivots. It goes between the positions with a locking pin, and goes exactly to each position. With the headstock at 30 degrees, I can use the banjo. With the headstock at 90 degrees, I have to use an outboard tool rest set up. It is nice and stable, but not for use in production work because it is a bit awkward to use for multiple adjustments. My first real lathe was a 3520A, which I got for the sliding headstock. I have a demo coming up in Washington where I get to do bowl turning on a long bed lathe with a fixed headstock (Robust Sweet 16). I have been practicing my turning on my lathes in long bed set up rather than my normal pivoted or tailstock down to the end set ups. Really is a huge difference...

robo hippy

Interesting to hear that the 1642 was sliding only. The 1640 and 1840 were launched with the pivot/rotation and it seems like JET is now backing it out for the (soft-relaunched?) models coming this summer. I wonder what happened that caused them to reverse course.

I am brand new to turning, but I do like the proposition of a sliding headstock over any rotating mechanism.

Tom

I don't remember seeing a rotating head on the 1640 launch but I think one of the 1840 models did, the 1840DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    Interesting to hear that the 1642 was sliding only. The 1640 and 1840 were launched with the pivot/rotation and it seems like JET is now backing it out for the (soft-relaunched?) models coming this summer. I wonder what happened that caused them to reverse course.

I am brand new to turning, but I do like the proposition of a sliding headstock over any rotating mechanism.

Tom

8. If you really are interested in a rotating headstock as well as one that slides, there is a clone of the Jet 1642 evs that is sold by Grizzly and it is the G0632 model. 16" swing, 42" between centers, and it has a pretty good reputation on reliability. Just FYI, in case you might want to take a look at it.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...d-Lathe/G0632Z
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My 1640evs has a rotating head. However, I have not yet used the feature in the almost one year that I have had the lathe. I have not removed the anti-rotation block. Just speculating; but, I would not doubt the rotating head was made to be just sliding on the newer version to cut costs to be in the same price range as the Laguna 1840. The base price of the 1640 is now around $2,300.00, while it was around $2,600.00 last year.

By the way, no issues that I am aware of with the 1640 rotating head. It is a great lathe in my opinion.

Just curious, John Jordan. As to your Jet 1642, is there any lateral tolerance slight movement from side to side) of your headstock as you slide it along the ways. I would think there would be some sort of clearance to allow it to slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bevilacqua View Post
    Just curious, John Jordan. As to your Jet 1642, is there any lateral tolerance slight movement from side to side) of your headstock as you slide it along the ways. I would think there would be some sort of clearance to allow it to slide.
    I've never noticed any but I've never checked for it either. I slide the tailstock often, of course, but I rarely move the headstock. There has to be some clearance, of course, or it won't slide, but the tolerance could be insignificant or barely undetectable if the machining is precise.

When I get back down to the shop I can put a dial indicator on it and try to move it unlocked, and if it moves at all I'll check the numbers when locked. I have the PM and one Jet 1642 set up in the shop but the second Jet is in the storage building so I can't easily compare the two right now.

How much, if any, play is in the 1640?

JKJ

11. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've never noticed any but I've never checked for it either. I slide the tailstock often, of course, but I rarely move the headstock. There has to be some clearance, of course, or it won't slide, but the tolerance could be insignificant or barely undetectable if the machining is precise.

When I get back down to the shop I can put a dial indicator on it and try to move it unlocked, and if it moves at all I'll check the numbers when locked. I have the PM and one Jet 1642 set up in the shop but the second Jet is in the storage building so I can't easily compare the two right now.

How much, if any, play is in the 1640?

JKJ
    Thank's John. I'll also check my 1640. The 1640 has the anti-rotation block of metal at the bottom front that is held on by 2 screws and slides between the bed ways. I know that the 1642 has tab like portions on the two bottom ends of the headstock extending down and travel between the bedways and are part of the headstock casting. In any event, the headstock appears to lock down solidly with no play.

As an aside, I wonder what they did with the newer non-rotating version of the 1640 as far as that tab like portion that slides between the ways and prevents rotation.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the 1640 with the rotating head does have a metal disc inside the bottom of the headstock that has set positions (half round slots) for rotation that a locking pin fits into.

Okay, John. I checked my 1640. With the heastock in sliding mode (with anti-rotation block on), unlocked there is slight movement of around .005" total. With the rotating pin disengaged, the movement increases to around .020 total. As stated in my previous post, there is no movement with the headstock locked down. Very easy to line up the spindle and the tailstock points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bevilacqua View Post
    Okay, John. I checked my 1640. With the heastock in sliding mode (with anti-rotation block on), unlocked there is slight movement of around .005" total. With the rotating pin disengaged, the movement increases to around .020 total. As stated in my previous post, there is no movement with the headstock locked down. Very easy to line up the spindle and the tailstock points.
    I checked the 1642 yesterday. It depends, of course, where I put the dial indicator. I measured at the spindle casting and also got about .005 movement with the headstock unlocked. Locking always brought it back to within .002 of where it was before I unlocked.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I checked the 1642 yesterday. It depends, of course, where I put the dial indicator. I measured at the spindle casting and also got about .005 movement with the headstock unlocked. Locking always brought it back to within .002 of where it was before I unlocked.

JKJ
    Curiosity satisfied . Thanks.