Thread: Changing the belt on a Hammer N4400 bandsaw.

Changing the belt on a Hammer N4400 bandsaw.

I need to change the belt on my Hammer N4400. What do I get?

For now, tensioning the belt is needed. It is a little loose. How do I do this?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek, the motor mounting bolts allow the motor to move, you should be able to tension the belt using them............Rod.

Blog Entries
    Felder should call out a size in your parts manual, or the size may be on the top of the belt. I prefer the internally cogged version of the same belt. I used these on the Maka, they're quieter running than a normal V-belt and they handle tighter a tight radius better.

I just ordered belts for my SCM FS41ES and spec'd the internally cogged for that as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Felder should call out a size in your parts manual, or the size may be on the top of the belt. I prefer the internally cogged version of the same belt. I used these on the Maka, they're quieter running than a normal V-belt and they handle tighter a tight radius better.

I just ordered belts for my SCM FS41ES and spec'd the internally cogged for that as well.
    Hi Brian, the N4400 uses a ribbed flat belt not a "V" belt..............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Interesting, well in any case it should be called out very similarly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Some bandsaws like the Minimax line, have an adjustment bolt that pushes against the motor from below. Once you loosen the mounting bolts, you can adjust the motor height and hence the belt tension by adjusting this bolt in a very controlled way. If your saw does not have one, then once the motor mounting bolts are loosened, you have to jack the motor up in some way. On my other bandsaw, I use a pry bar and it takes a second person to tighten the bolts on the operator side. I used a pencil mark to gauge the change. I hope this makes sense. I recall seeing a YouTube video where someone used a simple hydraulic jack and a few blocks to do the same.

I had a situation where the belt loosened enough to slip only under heavy load and it really robbed the saw of power. This went on for a little while before I realized and addressed it. It's good that you're on top of it.

These belts just loosen up over time, I guess like we all do.

Thanks for all the comments.

I had a situation where the belt loosened enough to slip only under heavy load and it really robbed the saw of power. This went on for a little while before I realized and addressed it. It's good that you're on top of it.
    Exactly so, Edwin. I was resawing a 10" high section of Hard Maple, and I could hear a "slipping" sound. The bandsaw, with 4 hp at its disposal, began to lose power and stall. I immediately thought of the belt, opened up the door, and saw that it was intact .. a few slight tears in the rubber - I think that it could do with replacement anyway. There is about 1" of give each way. I reckon that it should not give more than 1/8" each way. I will adjust it first.

How much give is indicated when I adjust the belt?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks for all the comments.

Exactly so, Edwin. I was resawing a 10" high section of Hard Maple, and I could hear a "slipping" sound. The bandsaw, with 4 hp at its disposal, began to lose power and stall. I immediately thought of the belt, opened up the door, and saw that it was intact .. a few slight tears in the rubber - I think that it could do with replacement anyway. There is about 1" of give each way. I reckon that it should not give more than 1/8" each way. I will adjust it first.

How much give is indicated when I adjust the belt?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi Derek, 50 Newtons applied to the middle of the belt span should produce 5 to 6mm of deflection.

(That's the force exerted by gravity on a 5 Kg mass)..............Regards, Rod.

Just one belt for a 4hp motor. That’s odd
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Just one belt for a 4hp motor. That’s odd
    Hi Andrew, not odd at all, the single poly ribbed flat belt is used on much larger motors than 4 hp.

Regards, Rod