Thread: Trotec Laser Nightmare

Trotec Laser Nightmare

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience as I dealing with Trotec. I ordered a Speedy 360 and when I received my original order, the laser was damaged (top case was cracked and table damaged). I did received another laser and I am disapointed with the packing when I received this. All the parts were inside the laser and not packaged well...again. Is it just me or is this how they do business? I have read a lot of posts on here about how people really like their Trotec engraver but so far, I am regreting making this purchase. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Define disappointed with packing. Was something damaged? Scratched? Ours has a box on top that had some "don't put anything on top of me" cardboard cutout that was angled so you couldn't put anything on it. The shipping company crushed that thing. Didn't damage anything. My lens wasn't tight and had fallen out of the holder. Not a scratch on it, I put it back in, tightened it, and moved on.

As long as nothing is damaged, I wouldn't worry about it too much. We have 2, one that's about 10 years old now and one that's just turning 1 in the next week or so. The 10 year old still runs daily and we've replaced no parts from wear. We come in, turn it on, and run it just about every day. The one year old hasn't been down a minute. No calls to service. It just runs. If that's how they run, I think I can live with a loose cardboard box in shipping. But that's me. If something is broken, they'll fix it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Hey Scott, thank you for your response. The first engraver they sent me had a cracked lid and damaged honeycomb cutting board. I spoke with the manager of customer service and he indicated that they were packing the second one more carfully. However, there was no noticiable difference in packing with the second laser. There were a lot of heavy loose parts packed inside the laser. For me, it just has been things adding up. I do not like being lied to and it seems like they tell me one thing and do another.

I am glad to hear that the laser has run well for you. I am hoping my laser will run the same.

I'm pretty certain Trotec didn't ship you a broken laser so your beef with the first laser should really be with the shipper. To crack the case and damage the table would require some pretty rough handling, was there any damage to the outer packaging? It is very common to have parts on the bed of the laser, in the lowered position it could hold a lot of weight with no possible damage. My laser was packed extremely well and arrived in perfect condition - I had it running a jobs within about two hours of delivery.

It's been running 6 days a week since then with not one second of down time, so, yes, I'm happy with it and don't regret one bit spending the extra money to get a top of the line machine. Once you get past this initial hiccup you will have a machine that will outperform and outlast any other choice you could have made.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCloy View Post
    Hi all,

I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience as I dealing with Trotec. I ordered a Speedy 360 and when I received my original order, the laser was damaged (top case was cracked and table damaged). I did received another laser and I am disapointed with the packing when I received this. All the parts were inside the laser and not packaged well...again. Is it just me or is this how they do business? I have read a lot of posts on here about how people really like their Trotec engraver but so far, I am regreting making this purchase. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I'm on my second Trotec. I upgraded from a 45 watt to an 80 watt but my experience has been exemplary with Trotec. I have heard of 3 lids being cracked counting yours but they were all replaced promptly. The only things I recall being packed inside my unit were the cutting table and the tool box. All were packed very well. The Rotary device was packed separately and securely attached to the top of the plywood crate the laser was shipped in.

Trotec will take care of you. That's who they are.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Scott McCloy,

Its my understanding that Trotec had a replacement machine in your shop in just two days which is the sign of a vendor that really takes care of their customers. I tend to agree with Gary that the first machine was abused by the shipping company. There isn't any way to pack a machine that isn't vulnerable to irresponsible shipping companies, there are hundreds of people here who have experienced shipping damage.

I think Trotec took pretty good care of you, I would be pleased.

I thought our Speedy 300 was packed amazingly.

It came in a VERY stout crate that was very well thought out with instructions on how to take it apart and install the ramps to roll it off the pallet. Also had multiple damage indicator stickers on the outside of the crate.

Regardless of all this the lid was cracked, but still functional. Trotec shipped a new lid which arrived very quickly and our tech installed next day. Nothing damaged at all, and the guy who unloaded it off of his truck tried his best to damage it.. lol

Blog Entries
    I'm agreeing with most of the above. Shipping Company. My last company, received shipments to each of over 50 locations weekly. In EVERY one of these I ever visited, the shipper, (various depending on local) would double stack a short skid on top of another. EVEN with signs on all 5 visible sides saying not to stack. Totally ignored and damage would occur. I'm betting something heavy was stacked on your laser to break lid. Just the age we live in. And Trotec should take care of you from every thing I've heard.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    I'm agreeing with most of the above. Shipping Company. My last company, received shipments to each of over 50 locations weekly. In EVERY one of these I ever visited, the shipper, (various depending on local) would double stack a short skid on top of another. EVEN with signs on all 5 visible sides saying not to stack. Totally ignored and damage would occur. I'm betting something heavy was stacked on your laser to break lid. Just the age we live in. And Trotec should take care of you from every thing I've heard.
    Most likely the table was messed up because the add-on tables ship outside of the laser crate on top of it. It's a 5 sided crate so unless they put enough weight on it to literally destroy the crate the laser shouldn't be damaged. But the lids, I believe are just a design flaw where they break due to the machines twisting/bouncing in transit. It's 1 piece of acrylic that is bent at a 90 degree and all the ones I've seen cracked right at the bend, which is coincidentally where the metal framing of the lid stops. Those 2 factors (stress caused by bending process + lack of support) together are responsible, I'd bet.

Trotec did an amazing job replacing his entire machine in just two days.